Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been an interesting turkey season, probably due to the weird weather we have had since February when it was 70 degrees for a week. On opening day I set out for my place that is 100 or so acres, mostly timber where we recently had a 12 acre field buldozed and is currently growing wheat. There are two big piles of dirt and burned trees in the middle of the field. So not sure how things would be I thought I'd try something new and sit in one of these piles (which worked well for deer). About 6:30 I see the first of two hens that just walked around the field purring and eating. Lots of gobbling from the timber, at least 7 different birds. It had been raining but was a beautiful morning. As I was watching a hen and the timberline for gobblers, a strutting tom comes from behind the pile I'm sitting in in total silence from a direction that had no gobbles. I waited patiently for him to stop stutting but he refused so I shot him. :banana: His beard was nearly twelve inches and his fan was sweet. One and an eigth spurs. When I picked him up I was a little disappointed because with that beard I thought maybe 24 pounds or so. Nope, 19 pounds (see pic)

The next weekend my brother came up and I was psyched because it would have been brutal staying home on the weekend knowing I couldn't hunt. We had no luck, especially with one gobbler who wouldn't come into the field.

The next weekend I was alone and found myself chasing what I thought was the same gobbler in the same spot. Trouble was wherever I set up he went the other way...:confused: probably my crappy calling. No luck.

Yesterday I set up on this bird again who at this point is pissin' me off...in a good way of course, because that is the fun of chasing gobblers. Same deal...flies down and goes the other way. This time I did a few soft tree yelps and he gobbled so I shut up and waited. So now I only have one place left that I haven't tried around this bird so I hatch a plan for Sunday. Of course it's Mother's Day and my wife is the greatest mother and person I know so I need to be home by 8 am as I hunted and worked all day Saturday. Well same deal, he's gobblin' his head off, flies down and heads where I set up last weekend...I get up and head for a powerline where I can move quickly up the side of the timber and set up where he is heading. I'm in there five minutes and three jake walk up on me after a few yelps. They seemed to get nervous when they didn't see a hen so I shot one of them. Home at 7 am, wife and kid just got up. I haven't eaten a jake before so I'm kinda excited, it was much more tender when I cut him up..so I'm hopeful. I'll have to get the gobbler next year.:wave:Soup is cooking and breasts are in the fridge.
Those mushrooms went well with the first turkey...

Attachments

· just a no body
16,067 Posts
nice read there

Good lord I was hoping that you were'nt going to tell me you pt that Turkey in a Soup.

I was going to:stickfight::behead::whip::mad2: & then :soapbox: some more. My Girlfriend made my Jake Breast into some rice Grool typ crap & thats the only bird I got.. she still aint heard the end of it & wont till next year.

Did I mention I'm PO'd to the max at her

Seemslike your hunting adventures went much like mine..here one day there the next..could'nt get a bead on one except for that stupid Jake (did I mention it was cooked in rice?)

nice bucket of Shrooms tho..only found 2 but did'nt look too hard tho

· Registered
6,021 Posts
good read sounds like you had a good season.

i bet that frist old tom didn't have a feather on his breast bone either having a beard and spurs like that you can bet he was a dominate bird and doing alot of breading thats the reason he was so light on the scales

breeding season is hard on toms just like it is on bucks durnig rut they stop eating so much and use alot more engery on other fun stuff heck if we only had a few weeks out of the year we would be the same way right:D

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering about his low weight...plus he came in in silence. About the soup, I alway make turkey soup with the legs and thighs...until I get a nice smoker! The Jake was noticibly more tender...tonight I'll cook the breast.

Beanpile, I cooked the other breast stuffed with morel stuffing and smothered in morel mushroom sauce...even my picky mother was impressed. Somewhat of the creme de la creme of Missouri springtime.

· Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by TomGallopavo

I cooked the other breast stuffed with morel stuffing and smothered in morel mushroom sauce...even my picky mother was impressed. Somewhat of the creme de la creme of Missouri springtime.
OMG......if I was gonna just get one more meal before I died I think that would be it......at least from the sound of it! :eek: :cheers:

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is excellent, I'd be glad to give you the recipe. I cut a pocket into the breast for the stuffing but I'm debating pounding it out into a thin sheet, cover with a thin layer of stuffing, and roll it up, may help with the toughness of the wild bird...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.