Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Turkey Sights?

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Vector 
#1 ·
What's everyone use? Front bead, fiber optic, optical sights, others unlisted?

I'm trying a red dot holographic sight on top of my Mossberg tthis year.

leaker

#6 ·
Originally posted by stinkpickle
I'm using clamp-on fiber optic sights, specifically Williams FireSights.
i have the same ones, adjustable for windage and elevation plus the bases are stepped to accomondate 3 dif. rib widths( 1/4" ,5/16" & 3/8" i believe, or whatever it is) so you only need to order 1 model and it will fit browning to mossberg and everything in between.

#9 ·
On our pumps its front bead on the semi rem 12 ga it has 2 beads ML has blade sight.

#11 ·
I also use the Tru-Glow fiber optic sights. I have no trouble getting down on this sight but that is from years of shooting iron sights on rifles. like CP said I think some folks might have a hard time adjusting to rilfe like sights on shotguns.

Jack

#12 ·
I've used front bead on every turkey gun I've ever owned. This year I thought I'd try some of those clamp on fiber optic sights from Tru-Glo (the kind you can't adjust). Well, I slapped em on and went to patterning. My pattern was consistently high and right. So I yanked the Tru-Glo sights off and put the bead back on and the gun shoots as straight as ever. Here's to the tried and true bead sight:
:cheers:

#14 ·
The March/April 2005 issur of Turkey call has an interesting article called Stock Truth that has some application to this thread. It discusses the differences between rifle and shotgun stocks. Generally a rifle has a shorter stock with less drop which moves the eye closer to the sight and raises it to alighn with the sight.

The article goes on to say in order to get the right fit for a scoped shotgun the addition of a raised comb and a shortening of the stock would improve the aimability or fit of the gun, also reducing the percieved recoil.

I don't know how many pay much attention to this sort of thing. I do know in my case I have some strict requirements I consider when buying a rifle but when I buy a shotgun I just bring it to my shoulder to see if the beads line up as if at a flying bird.

I wonder if a shotgun designated "turkey" is stocker differently fromone that is not?:wave:

#16 ·
Front bead only for my 870 3".... maybe I need to consider the ol fibre-optic route.

You like that tombuster ok venatic?

#18 ·
venatic, yea the williams sites are fully adjustable too.
poor valley i agree with ya. actualy the fit of a shotgun to an individual is most critical. it is no diferant than getting a bow fit and tuned to a person. if you want to shoot clays and such you have to get your shotgun adjusted for you. to be honest my O/U is in need of some tweeking to fit me correctly and will be getting some work done to it this summer to help.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Poor Valley
right fit for a scoped shotgun the addition of a raised comb and a shortening of the stock would improve the aimability or fit of the gun, also reducing the percieved recoil.
I've got an 870 with a Tasco Pro Point 3 red dot and a raised comb on the stock. Sometimes its a pain to get sighted in, but once it is, its a turkey SMOKER.

I'm sure Clansey with second my opion of the red dot being great for turkey birds. :cheers:

Parker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.