Turkey shotgun scope

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Ringer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    I think I will go ahead and get one for my boy since I think he will kinda get along with it better than a bead. I've been looking online but there are just so many its hard to sift through the ones that are good and bad. Since I'm kinda new to shotgun scopes is it best to get a regular crosshair shotgun scope or a red dot? And any recommendations on a good rugged accurate scope is needed. Not looking to spend a ton on it either. :)
  2. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    WBF, Mailman and beanpile like this.

3. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

luckily it looks like it'll be back in stock next week
  4. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Bushnell has a 30% rebate all of March too on select stuff.
    WBF likes this.
  5. swampchicken

swampchicken Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Leopold 2-7X33 with turkey plex has killed many in numerous different states with it and never has to worry about leaving the power on and batteries running out.
  6. STTH

STTH Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Turd Crick North
    We have a cheap reflex site on our youth 870 that has a choice of several reticles and like the circle with a dot. If the turkey's head is in the circle it is history, it is heads up and doesn't matter if 1 or both eyes open, if you see the circle on the head it is good to go. Got it at sportsmans guide a long time ago and no issues. Used a saddle type mount to attach it.
  7. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
  8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I've got a cheapy red dot on my 3" 12 gauge. I can't even remember what kind it's been on there so long. Works like a charm.
  9. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I have good luck with 3?kiddos and zero scopes! Have you considered get a rear and front sight setup.
  10. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    He uses that now and killed a turkey with the setup last year. But he came to me on his own and said he'd really like a scope on his turkey gun. So.....I've been considering it. I've never used anything but a front bead and never had an issue.
    DCSarchette likes this.
  11. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Same as me ringer, I got a bead and never hunted with anything else.

I do know what Cummins said is true of the red dots, we have used that style on rifles for youths before when they had trouble with the issues he talked about.
  12. swampchicken

swampchicken Member

Apr 2, 2015
    A scope on 2 power or more depending on the distance helps them focus and pick a more precise aiming point.
  13. I like the two bead on a gun, that way you know you your in straight line and have your head down on the gun.
    I believe a lot of people do not keep head down on the gun.
    STTH, 170BC and 20' like this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    good deal, I didn't realize that!!! Good luck, hope the kiddo connects this year as well!
  15. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I would get a descent red dot, had a tru-glo cheapo and the recoil killed it. I use a scope, but a red dot is ideal for kids.
  16. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    I've got a Bushnell TR85 (Or something like that ) red dot on my 835 for years now . Great little scope and has held up to the recoil and abuse well.
  17. 170BC

170BC Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    This comes into play when you wear glasses also I wear bifocals and I find it harder to shoot than before I wore classes .
  18. Spyder

Spyder Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Knob Noster MO
    A Bushnell TRS-25 is hard to beat for the money. Have been using one for a few years, no issues.
  19. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    I got a good deal on a tru glo gobble stopper. Going to pick it up today we will see how it does. It's going on a youth 20 gauge so hopefully the recoil wont kill it.
    20' likes this.
  20. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    He really likes the gobble stopper we carried it with us shed hunting this last week and he busted a few armadillos with it off the shooting sticks.
    20' likes this.