Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here successfully turkey hunted with a bow? A buddy and I plan on going up to Hidden Hollow CA. I'd like to try my luck with a bow. If you have any insight or advice, I could really use it! Thanks!!!!:rotfl:

·
27,514 Posts
What's your definition of successfull? I have shot at 3 turkeys over the years. And missed all three. I consider them successfull hunts because the only reason I didn't get a bird, was because of my misjudgement of distance.

You can use your regular deer setup just fine for turkeys. But if you want to change things a little you can. I would suggest practising a lot from a sitting or knelling position. Practise holding your bow at full draw for as long as you can and then shoot your target. You might benefit from dropping the draw weight a little to make it easier to draw and hold. Also, a mechanical broad head with a large cutting diameter would help put a turkey down.

I'm sure others will have some suggestions for you too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say seeing them counts as successful. I'm pretty comfortable with shooting kneeling, and sitting. I am thinking about getting a pop-up blind too.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hey Porkey, you from Cali? I am from SoCal and go there about once a month. I am new to this hunting thing as well being a city boy and all. I wonder when you are no longer considered a city boy. Perhaps you are always considered one by the locals. Anyway, where is Hidden Hollow?
:wave:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
USE A BLIND! And before you buy one, measure from your back arm to the front of your arrow when you draw to make sure that it will all fit right when you're in the blind.

Parker

·
27,514 Posts
I think the CA that he wrote means Conservation Area, not California.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hidden Hollow Conservation Area is in Macon County. I went up there last summer to do some scouting with some buddies. Kinda far from St. Charles. Too bad I can't sit at Dave and Buster's parking lot and wait for some birds...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Ok, in MO CA means Conservation Area, got it! Gees, so much to learn.

·
5,626 Posts
I've shot at...and missed...4 turkeys with my bow. Them buggers are hard to hit.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
A blind for sure, and learn the kill zone of a turkey, it is alot different than you would think it is very low.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
It is probly right, I shoot them low in the back and its all over but the Frying! just my own theory and I have seen those guys whack em, I do not disagree with success.:cheers:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Use a blind, and set the decoys close, try to get the turkeys as close as possible.....at least that's what the pro's say...I've shot at, and missed 2 times, last fall!!! Still lookin for one of those arrahs!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts