Turkey Session

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by Porkchopsandwiches, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Porkchopsandwiches

Porkchopsandwiches New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    Has anyone here successfully turkey hunted with a bow? A buddy and I plan on going up to Hidden Hollow CA. I'd like to try my luck with a bow. If you have any insight or advice, I could really use it! Thanks!!!!:rotfl:

2. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    What's your definition of successfull? I have shot at 3 turkeys over the years. And missed all three. I consider them successfull hunts because the only reason I didn't get a bird, was because of my misjudgement of distance.

You can use your regular deer setup just fine for turkeys. But if you want to change things a little you can. I would suggest practising a lot from a sitting or knelling position. Practise holding your bow at full draw for as long as you can and then shoot your target. You might benefit from dropping the draw weight a little to make it easier to draw and hold. Also, a mechanical broad head with a large cutting diameter would help put a turkey down.

I'm sure others will have some suggestions for you too.

Good luck.

3. Porkchopsandwiches

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    I would say seeing them counts as successful. I'm pretty comfortable with shooting kneeling, and sitting. I am thinking about getting a pop-up blind too.

4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Hey Porkey, you from Cali? I am from SoCal and go there about once a month. I am new to this hunting thing as well being a city boy and all. I wonder when you are no longer considered a city boy. Perhaps you are always considered one by the locals. Anyway, where is Hidden Hollow?
    :wave:

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    USE A BLIND! And before you buy one, measure from your back arm to the front of your arrow when you draw to make sure that it will all fit right when you're in the blind.

Parker

6. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I think the CA that he wrote means Conservation Area, not California.

7. Porkchopsandwiches

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    Hidden Hollow Conservation Area is in Macon County. I went up there last summer to do some scouting with some buddies. Kinda far from St. Charles. Too bad I can't sit at Dave and Buster's parking lot and wait for some birds...

8. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Ok, in MO CA means Conservation Area, got it! Gees, so much to learn.

9. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I've shot at...and missed...4 turkeys with my bow. Them buggers are hard to hit.

10. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    A blind for sure, and learn the kill zone of a turkey, it is alot different than you would think it is very low.

11. The doudle bull boys moto is shoot em high watch em die and shoot em low and watch em go. Just a little thought on the anatomy side.

chad

12. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    What do I know?:whinging:

13. I didnt even see your post when i wrote that Hatch.
    But thats what they say.And if you think about the wing bones and spine structure i think its right.

14. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    It is probly right, I shoot them low in the back and its all over but the Frying! just my own theory and I have seen those guys whack em, I do not disagree with success.:cheers:

15. That would proly work as long as they werent facing you. If they were it would be hard on the old breast.

chad

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Use a blind, and set the decoys close, try to get the turkeys as close as possible.....at least that's what the pro's say...I've shot at, and missed 2 times, last fall!!! Still lookin for one of those arrahs!!!

17. Porkchopsandwiches

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    Many thanks lads! I'll let you know if I get to even see one!