Turkey Scouting Pictures

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Mailman, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Went out before daylight today for some scouting. Even before daylight they were gobbling their heads off. There were 3 of them on one ridge trying to out do each other. I slipped to within 150 yards and set up for some calling. I tried my turtle shell call first and they went crazy. Gobble after gobble. They were hot. I heard them fly down and they went silent. I kept quiet for 10 minutes when I saw one strutting at about 50 yards away. Back and forth he went on his strutting show. He traveled about 40 yards back and forth at least 8 times. You could hear him drumming and sputting. Here I sat a camoed up from head to toe but I hadn't set out my decoys. I want to get a couple of pictures with my digital camera. When he stepped behind a tree I would call to him and he would gobble. His head was white as white gets and his waddles were so red they looked like they would burst. He finally left the area for some reason with his feathers slicked down. I found out why. One of the other toms came in to take over the others territory. The show started all over again. My little camera couldn't focus on him through all the trees and I only got a couple of pics of him. He was within shooting distance. I finally let him work his way away from me and I sneaked away behind some cedars. I was working until 1:00 pm in my yard spreading seed and fertilizer and they gobbled every 15 minutes and were still gobbling when I left. If I had a shot gun with me they wouldn't have said a word as I walked through the woods. BTW......no mushrooms.

2. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    last pic within range

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Gotta love it..........:cheers:

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

would have been a great morning to have a kid with ya. I hope you have as good a luck in a couple a weeks when the season is open.

:cheers::cheers:

5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    My grandsons are to young to hunt. I did hear one shot around 9 AM. Most of the time I don't see or hear anything on my place. They are on my neighbors farm clear down by the creek a half mile away. Once in a while someone scares one up my way. I hope they hang around for a couple of weeks.

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Looks like a nice day!
    Hopefully they're gobblin in Hermann!
    :cheers::cheers:

7. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Stover
    Nice pics! Grat story! Man that sounds soooo neat, I can hardly wait to experience something like that.

8. turk2di

turk2di New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Western Ky
    Nice pic. Im a mailman too:wave::sniper::rotfl:

9. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana