Turkey regulations update

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hawk, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Turkey regs for spring 2018 will stay the same. I have talked to the biologists and the decision to delay changes was basically the same as the decision to delay the implementation of crossbows a few years ago. There is no biological or population reason to not liberalize regs, but they ARE going to do an "over-haul" of the turkey management plan, including all turkey regs, and changes (like all day hunting) will be implemented after this review. They were not sure at the time whether there would be public meetings like there were with the deer changes a few years back, but there would be public involvement it seems.

Given the results of the NEMO study and the indications it has provided it seems more hunting opportunity will be the end result IMO. Things that will likely be considered: All day spring hunting, spring archery season, etc. Again, they will be looking at ALL parts of regs and the management plan so things like season length and limits are also not out of the question (although I find those much less likely than all day and archery). Hopefully by spring we will know if they will have the open house format for the public or not. Good news for MO turkey hunters :tup::tup::tup:

Str8 Killn and venatic like this.
  2. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wonder if starting the season earlier was also taken into consideration? Seems it's always late. JMHO

BustinBucks likes this.

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    The sky is gonna fall and some heads are going to explode.

Hawk likes this.
  4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm not going to put words in the turkey biologist mouth but I think that's a very very unlikely scenario. Most biologists in Missouri agree and have agreed for a long time that starting the season when we do is the very best thing we can do to keep a healthy turkey population and not over Harvest our birds before they get their breeding done.

And just so you know you are right. It is late and it's done on purpose.

20', Narf, venatic and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    But those heads that will explode won't be complainers.... ha

6. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I would make season all day and shorter to TWO weeks and let you fill both of your tags on the SAME day.
    JMO

Euro1, Matt_in_KC, WBF and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Why two weeks? That would give us the shortest turkey season east of the Mississippi I'm fairly certain.

I think you'll probably see quite a few changes. A lot of our turkeys regulations are outdated in archaic

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm ok with that.

9. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    That's just me being greedy. I think I have hunted a total of 6 days the last two years and packed my birds out.
    Id like to have more birds. Numbers are good in my spots but I know plenty of areas where numbers are not as good that should be.
    I cant remember the last time I had a tag going into the third week.

10. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I'd prefer not to kill two in one day, admittedly I want to do it once just to do it.
    I like turk hunting and don't want it to be over that quickly year in and year out, but if someone else wants to roll that way... that's up to them if that's how the rules wind up.

11. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Lord, I hope they have public sessions. So, with the inclusion of crossbows in "archery" season for deer we have essentially categorized them as such. If there is an early archery season will crossbows be allowed for everyone? If so I'm just bringing my 12 gauge and taking my chances

Hooks and trappermark like this.
  12. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    If any changes I would take a week off.

I'm not buying Tag until numbers are back up.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin thinks they should allow Dogs.

13. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Have you been turkey hunting lately?

14. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Not since I quit Hearing or seeing them.

I was doing a Gobbler Count for MDC got from 20 some to nothing.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin thinks he needs a Dog.

Beards-n-Spurs likes this.
  15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I think I can speak for NBC in this case and say Yes crossbows would be allowed

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Buy more birds do you mean a higher limit of birds? Or just more birds in the population in general?

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Drawing a compound from inside a ground blind on a turkey that cannot see you would be about the same as raising up a crossbow on a turkey that can see you.
    I thought the knock on deer hunting with crossbows is that you dont have to worry about being detected when you draw? In a blind, you could do about whatever you want an not be detected by a turkey.
    Is it really the same as the advantage you get deer hunting when using a crossbow?

18. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Someone told us we would have all day hunting on 2018. They must of been wrong . Oh well. At least with another year to see if we see a turn around in reproduction it's not a done deal yet. I'm not in favor of liberalizing the season when our production had been poor for several years and the worst of that has been the last 2.

20' and deep woods goat hunter like this.
  19. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Come on Paul. We don't need every idiot that has bought a crossbow to deer hunt with to be set up in a blind for "archery" turkey season. Where does this end?

If you can't kill a turkey or two in Missouri in 3 weeks worth of mornings then maybe it's not your thing.

20' and deep woods goat hunter like this.
  20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Someone told us we would have crossbows legalized in 2015. They must have been wrong. I'll admit I was wrong about all day hunting in 2018. But it wasn't because it wasn't suggested it's because they wanted to do an overhaul and do it all at one time which is even better because we'll get more liberalize regulations in my opinion

This decision was made before production was known for this year. Just like it was last year.