Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we talked to the taxidermist who originally did my turkey and he said he couldn't fix it. Said it would take him a year or more (which is fine) and that they never look right again, so he wasn't comfortable taking it on. So I'm trying to list everything for insurance and need a guesstimate on fixing the ol gal, and someone possibly willing to do the work.

Had a **** mount, fox hide, and several euros that might could use some attention too. Hard to put values on these types of things.

Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Hardwood
Wood Terrestrial animal Scaled reptile Trunk Snout
Leg Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Thigh
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Pollution Waste

· Super Moderator
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Try this again. That was a vacuum lol.
Bird Beak Wood Feather Bird of prey
Building Extinction Wood Fossil Ceiling

Reactions: 90acres

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts
How would you feel about getting hen this fall and having the beard from your damaged turkey added to it?

· Super Moderator
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was also a thought Pastor, didn’t know if using new feathers off a different bird might be the route to go.

Our house burned Todd. Electrical outlet caught fire.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
That was also a thought Pastor, didn't know if using new feathers off a different bird might be the route to go.

Our house burned Todd. Electrical outlet caught fire.
Dang it. I hate to hear that.

I have never heard promising news about restoring fire damaged taxidermy. Those house fires are horrible.

· Registered
70,871 Posts
As for the turkey, ****, full shoulder deer mounts or the fox pelt a taxidermist would have to give their opinion but for your Euros and just bare antlers maybe someone like Fireman Brad could take a look to see if his whitening technique would work.

· Registered
3,066 Posts
ThOur house burned Todd. Electrical outlet caught fire.
Man alive I looked at those first 2 pictures for 10 mins trying to turn one of em into a turkey. Should have read the second post beforehand.

Ginger if you don't mind me asking do they know what caused the outlet to ignite? Bad plug maybe? Faulty wiring? Wonder if it just got progressively hotter until something caught fire or if it just blew into flames?

I'm personally terrified of a house fire. Sure am sorry you're forced to deal with one. As folks say stuff can be replaced but starting over basically from scratch is a monumental and daunting task indeed

· Registered
985 Posts
The bird will have to be re-mounted using a different skin. A fall bird will not be a suitable candidate for a replacement, as they have far to many pin feathers to make an acceptable mount. You will need a hen harvested in the spring. (or late winter, like a Jan bowkill) Most quality shops have access to skins of all kinds of animals, so a replacement shouldn't be hard to find. In my shop that would run $1200.00, but everyone is different. The raccoon mount and fox skin could possibly be cleaned up, but it's impossible to tell from pictures. The deer antlers can absolutely be repaired. They don't look as smoke damaged as many I have worked with. The skulls may have to be painted, but they can be made to look presentable again. So sorry about your fire, that is a terrible thing to have to deal with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.