Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been posted before, but I have a short memory. Has anyone tried any of the new turkey loads. I have been thinking of trying the new Winchester Hi density/long range shells this year. Talked with a guy last week that has used them and thinks they make a big difference. The only problem I see so far is that they are $20 a box.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I shot hevishot and good ole Winchester #5's out of my Encore last year and could see no difference in the pattern.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i use the winchester xtended range. they are great. pattern great out to 40 yards, and have a killing pattern at 50. however, i prefer to keep it 40 or less.

side note: $20! where did he buy them? i got some 3.5" at BP for $28 on sale!!!

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure where he got them at. Just said $20 a box.
The only place I have gotten to look for them so far is at wal-mart and of course they didn't carry any.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I patterned my gun on posterboard yesterday, and at 30 yards, there is a noticable difference in tightness with the Remington Hevi-Shot compared to the Winchester Supreme.

I ran into the hevi-shot on clearance for $5 a box though! :D

Parker

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Man, I'm thinkin there were ALOT of turkeys killed for several years way before all these 20 dollar plus shells were put on the market....I know some of these do perform amazingly well at longer ranges especially, but the name of the game is getting the bird in close anyway!!! Buy yourself a good choke tube right off the bat, shoot 7 dollar shells, and live happily ever after....I think the hi dollar bullets are over rated!!! 5 dollars on clearance though, quite a deal Parker...how do ya sleep at nite...lol

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fireman,
I think I will stick with the cheaper shell. I have long range turkey choke in my 835 that is just deadly on turkeys.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
ya know I'm probley the only person who shoots a modiefied choke. I just limit my shots to 30 yards and call it good. I bought a extra full choke one year and it shot a tight pattern like you would not beleive. the only problem was I missed 3 birds inside 10 yards before I switched back to a modified I guess if I hunted fields more often a long range tight pattern might matter, but most of my hunting is in timber and once it greens up your lucky to get a 25 yard shot.
:)team 22 its almost time:sniper:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
defintly not a better caller, usualy the bird I call at hangs up and a different one sneaks up and suprises me:eek:
p.s once I thought someome choking on a mouth call was trying to sneak up on me, and it turned out to be a hen.:rotfl:

·
Original Cafe'Member
1,723 Posts
I was happy with the Federal FliteControl loads, last year. Better wad.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
Fireman,
I think I will stick with the cheaper shell. I have long range turkey choke in my 835 that is just deadly on turkeys.
Like the old sayin goes....If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Originally posted by fireman_3311
5 dollars on clearance though, quite a deal Parker...how do ya sleep at nite...lol
With one eye open, and both hands on my 2 boxes of shells! :D

Parker
at 5.00 a box you only grabbed two ????
:bangin::bangin::bangin::bangin::cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.