Turkey loads

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by riverbottomhunter, Apr 5, 2006.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I am sure this has been posted before, but I have a short memory. Has anyone tried any of the new turkey loads. I have been thinking of trying the new Winchester Hi density/long range shells this year. Talked with a guy last week that has used them and thinks they make a big difference. The only problem I see so far is that they are $20 a box.

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I shot hevishot and good ole Winchester #5's out of my Encore last year and could see no difference in the pattern.

3. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I bought some nitro turkey loads #5 by remington. shot a nice pattern at 30 yards and thats about as far as I'll shoot. 3 inch with 1 7/8 shot

4. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    i use the winchester xtended range. they are great. pattern great out to 40 yards, and have a killing pattern at 50. however, i prefer to keep it 40 or less.

side note: $20! where did he buy them? i got some 3.5" at BP for $28 on sale!!!

5. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Not sure where he got them at. Just said $20 a box.
    The only place I have gotten to look for them so far is at wal-mart and of course they didn't carry any.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I patterned my gun on posterboard yesterday, and at 30 yards, there is a noticable difference in tightness with the Remington Hevi-Shot compared to the Winchester Supreme.

I ran into the hevi-shot on clearance for $5 a box though! :D

Parker

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Man, I'm thinkin there were ALOT of turkeys killed for several years way before all these 20 dollar plus shells were put on the market....I know some of these do perform amazingly well at longer ranges especially, but the name of the game is getting the bird in close anyway!!! Buy yourself a good choke tube right off the bat, shoot 7 dollar shells, and live happily ever after....I think the hi dollar bullets are over rated!!! 5 dollars on clearance though, quite a deal Parker...how do ya sleep at nite...lol

8. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Fireman,
    I think I will stick with the cheaper shell. I have long range turkey choke in my 835 that is just deadly on turkeys.

9. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    ya know I'm probley the only person who shoots a modiefied choke. I just limit my shots to 30 yards and call it good. I bought a extra full choke one year and it shot a tight pattern like you would not beleive. the only problem was I missed 3 birds inside 10 yards before I switched back to a modified I guess if I hunted fields more often a long range tight pattern might matter, but most of my hunting is in timber and once it greens up your lucky to get a 25 yard shot.
    :)team 22 its almost time:sniper:

10. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    chuck88, it's obvious you're a lot better caller than I am. i need all the choke i can get, along with a horny, tone deaf bird.

11. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    defintly not a better caller, usualy the bird I call at hangs up and a different one sneaks up and suprises me:eek:
    p.s once I thought someome choking on a mouth call was trying to sneak up on me, and it turned out to be a hen.:rotfl:

12. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    With one eye open, and both hands on my 2 boxes of shells! :D

Parker

13. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    I was happy with the Federal FliteControl loads, last year. Better wad.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Like the old sayin goes....If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!

15. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    at 5.00 a box you only grabbed two ????
    :bangin::bangin::bangin::bangin::cheers: