Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· QDMA Deer Steward
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I’m looking to get a dedicated turkey shotgun. I’ve been using a Mossberg 835 Field with 28” barrel. The gun is way to long for the woods and hills that I hunt. Plus it has a tendency to fail to eject. So I’ve got a couple options I’m considering.

1st option is a H&R Pardner pump 12ga with 18.5” barrel. I would add an extended choke of some kind and either a HiViz front sight or do a cheap red dot. I could get into the gun, extended choke, and snap-on HIViz front sight for $200 total. Or I could do the gun, choke, and red dot for $315 total.

Second option is a Mossberg 500 Grand Slam new for $350 and no optic, just the gun like it comes from the factory.

I’d like to do this as cheap as possible so I can have a little money left to try a few different boxes of shells to see which patterns best. What are your thoughts?

· Former Leader in Warning points!
10,990 Posts
I don't think the H&R with the 18.5" barrel has a screw in choke, just fixed cylinder. Maybe you already accounted for this in how you would add the extended choke, but you would need to more than just screw it in.

10,990 Posts
Redacted due to it not making any sense after you edited your post:D

10,990 Posts
FWIW,

I would make it through this season with what you have and then buy something used afterward, good deals will be had then.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
What about a maverick? I know the youth 20 gauge runs around $190. Looking at buying one for the wife and kids as they get older.

362 Posts
I just picked up a 20 ga 870 express full camo with 3" chamber used for $200 with rem chokes. I consider it a good deal. I say stick with the 835 then look at some 870s used. Armslist gunbroker and mwguntrader and here. Plenty of options available.

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts
I've got the old Mossberg 835 with a 28" barrel and it's a turkey hammer

· Registered
32,997 Posts
The long barrel sucks to hold up for a long time, that's my biggest complaint. My 870 is deadly.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
I would like to take my grandpa's old double barrel out, but it hasn't been shot for a very long time. Needs to be checked over by a blacksmith.

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts
Guys I'm looking to get a dedicated turkey shotgun. I've been using a Mossberg 835 Field with 28" barrel. The gun is way to long for the woods and hills that I hunt. Plus it has a tendency to fail to eject. So I've got a couple options I'm considering.

1st option is a H&R Pardner pump 12ga with 18.5" barrel. I would add an extended choke of some kind and either a HiViz front sight or do a cheap red dot. I could get into the gun, extended choke, and snap-on HIViz front sight for $200 total. Or I could do the gun, choke, and red dot for $315 total.

Second option is a Mossberg 500 Grand Slam new for $350 and no optic, just the gun like it comes from the factory.

I'd like to do this as cheap as possible so I can have a little money left to try a few different boxes of shells to see which patterns best. What are your thoughts?
One thing I noticed a long time ago on my 835, if you don't shuck it like you mean it, it will short stroke and will reload the empty without ejecting but if you shuck it solid it will cycle every time.

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,893 Posts
Search the web for a shorter barrel. Plenty of waterfowlers hate their short barrels (almost as bad as the guys hunting next to them in the blind):mad2:
What?????

I couldn't hear you! :banging:

· Registered
6,312 Posts
Went through this same thing a few years back. I wanted cheap, short, and something I didn't care about how it was treated it would still function. I have a very strong aversion to pump actions (just a personal thing) so for me it was going to be a semi auto. I ended up with an inertia driven Stoger 2000 3" 12 gauge with an 18" cantilever barrel and an extended x-full choke tube. Mounted a 1.75-4x28 circle reticle scope to top it off. Not saying that it would work for everyone but it has been everything I hoped for. Pretty sure it's the last turkey gun I'll ever buy.
Beak Plant Wood Terrestrial animal Grass
Turkey Chicken Phasianidae Bird Wild turkey

Reactions: Olympus and HarvDog
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.