Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the use of fan becoming more prevalent, I wanted to give my tips on making one in case you want one. Having a fan around is a great tool to use when the time is right. But what to do with the fan to get it in the right condition?

The last thing I wanna do is to carry a 3 foot fan around. I want to be able to collapse my fan and store it into my pack. I also don't want to be shot when carrying a fan walking around.

The trick I have found to to cover with salt ever week and constantly close and open the fan every few days. This makes it where one can close and open the fan when the skin and meat dry out. They become leathery and pliable instead of drying to a hard consistancy. When I need my fan, I pull it out and open it up. It stays open for the most part by it self and is easy to hold all the way open with 2 fingers. Hope this helps!

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought about trying to dry it in a way that would allow it to fold up. Didn't even know that was possible.
I came upon this trick by accident when doing one of my turkey fans to display. It dried out pliable and i thought how I could use it to my benefit. Done many like this now and it works great.

Reactions: Skduckhunt

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Have you tried glycerin to help keep it pliable ?

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is mine! Ripped out all back feathers so they don't get in my way. Works awesome and is so easy to move. Going on 6+ years with this fan and have another one I'm working on right now. Even has white in the fan feathers like this one.

Natural material Bird Feather Wood Terrestrial animal
Head Human body Glove Wood Working animal
Natural material Wood Trunk Plant Grass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.