Turkey Decoy Question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JarJar, Feb 16, 2006.

1. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Just getting into Turkey hunting and wondered......

What type of decoy do you use and how do you have yours setup (positioning, etc.) for this spring?

Thanks!

2. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    I like feather flex cause their lite any easy to carry in my t-vest....I like to use a couple of hens with a jake (optional). I sometimes put the jake in a breeding postion over on of the hens. I've had tom's kick the livin crap out of my jake.

3. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I use 2-3 hen decoys and 1 jake. I usualy put the jake next to 1 of the hens and place the other hens off to the side. A jake decoy has worked really well for me, but the only problem I have had is with the OLD MATURE TOMS. I worked one last year that just wouldn't come into the spred & I think it is b/c he didn't want to fight with the jake. Another time I had 3 toms (3 year old birds) come in and they just tore up the jake decoy.

4. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    Feather Flex for me too, just cause I can pack them easily. If I am in the woods, I will usually just use one hen but if I am out in a open field I will use 2 hens and a jake. works for me :)

5. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    sometimes i don't use any decoys but when i do i usually like to have a jake and two hens facing away from me and the jake facing me that way if all goes like planned the tom will be either face to face with the jake or coming up around the back of the hens. either way, he's facing away from me. featherflex and buckwing is what i currently have.

6. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    How about blinds.....Do any of you use blinds? or just sit really still?

7. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Featherflex for me too....

8. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I usually just sit still in some good cover, but this year I am going to try a blind for a day or two.

9. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    no blind for me unless its pouring rain or I have a young one with me that can't set still.

However, I have one or two spots that I build "blinds" every year out of cedar limbs and logs that I hunt in known roosting areas.

10. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    I like to scout out an area and build a couple of natural ground blinds and also this year I will set up a couple of pop-up blinds early just in case of rain or young one as well.......my t-vest has a good back rest so i can sit just about any where in great comfort.

11. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I use feather flex decoys also. I use at least 2 hens up to 4. Never had much luck with a Jake decoy. I will set them up in front of me one on the left, one on the right and one or two in the middle. I set them up in a V formation, at 10, 12, and 2 O'clock. Any where from 10 to 25 yards.

12. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    I have a whole flock of FeatherFlex decoys, but in the last few years, I've only carried one or two of the hen dekes with me. I've found that jake decoys occasionally intimidate gobblers, so I don't even mess with them anymore in the spring. They do; however, work great in the fall.

As for blinds, I use mine mostly in the late morning and afternoon (legal in Iowa). They work great if you know where to set them up. Turkey's have no clue...even if they're set up out in the open. In the early mornings, I prefer to stay more mobile.

13. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    So, It looks like FeatherFlex it is!

Thanks guys..this is all real good info and will help out alot.

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I dont personally like featherflex, have used them in the past.. They may have gotten better since I stoped using them but they were made of foam, and after a year or two started cracking and what not.. I now use avery, only hens, have two of them... seems like the birds in my area dont like to be intimidated.. had no luck at all using a jake in the mix so i dont use it any more.. I personally only like the rubberized dekes, i can leave them rolled up all year and season rolls around and pop back into shape with no probs at all

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Rebel, when those feather flex dekes start breakin down, take yo' ol' ladies blowdryer to em, perks em right up....You can see it sealing up the foam making it more rigid again....It works, try it!!!

16. Mr.Crappie

Mr.Crappie New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Northeast Missouri
    For the past several years I've hunted out of a hunting box (a wooden blind) that has made hunting with kids easier. We've killed several birds out of it.

17. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Great tip... thanks.. ill have ta dig em out of the closet and try that out..

18. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just read a tip that I hadn't heard before. With the Featherflex decoys and a windy day, put some rocks in the tail to keep it from swinging around too much.

Also a couple of sticks on either side of the tail will work too.

19. deerkiller012

deerkiller012 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    kansas city
    -no blind
    -2 hens one jake
    -a box call and a mouth along with a push button call

thats about it
    p.s.
    (a gun)

20. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    venatic, also good tips.. i did the sticks thing once because it was crazy windy.. unless its a crazy windy day i like the wind to make em dance, looks more life like..