Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me two days to get my second bird but another great season in the books now. Went out last Thursday with my buddy and his video camera and of course the birds were silent and nothing we tried worked. Changed game plans on Sunday and along with my old man, we went to the blind he set up on the clover field after his successful hunt there the first week. We got into the blind nice and early with a jake and hen decoy placed out front. As it got light behind us in the east a few birds sounded off way off to the North of us. Not much talking this morning from the tree but at about 10 to 6 I heard one drumming in a nearby tree. Its so thick I cant find him but none the less can tell he is close. I decided to hold off with the calls since nothing else was talking this morning. Finally about 6 I heard a few more birds get wound up and I started with some soft yelps on the Poor Valley slate. A bird now answered me back to the East but not the close one drumming nearby. A little after 6 I could hear some birds fly down so a few more calls followed but no response. Shortly after things picked up. About 4 birds to the North, 1 to the East, and 1 to the far West started sounding off like crazy. The one I assume that was drumming we gobble occasionally but the others were just going nuts. I figure he was the closest but must have flew away from us as I guess him to be alittle over 100 yards away. The birds just gobbled and gobbled but not much response to the call until about 6:30. I was finally getting some answers from the closest one and could tell he was slowly getting closer to the field we were in. It probably took him 15 minutes to get to where I could finally see him in the brush at about 80 yards strutting on the logging road that leads to the field. I gave him the old silent treatment and he just strutted and drummed for what seemed like forever then all of a sudden I see him head back North and the drumming I no longer hear. Then I see some birds pitching down out of trees in his direction....dang hens.:mad: After about 10 minutes of some occasional aggressive yelps I hear him again, he's baaack!!!! I see him in the woods again and at the same time see a hen pop out of the woods on the logging road. She heads straight South with a slight east pattern that will bring her atleast sorta in our direction. Then I see another, then another, then another hen with a beard, then another, then another until 7 hens were in the field. This had to bring the gobbler out and shortly he followed with another buddy standing wing to wing in full straight filling the logging road. As soon as I see them I give them some clucks and they wheel in full strut my direction. Im giving dad the play by play as he doesn't dare to peek out the window (sounds alot like when I took him last time ;) ) The gobblers took a couple steps towards the dekes in full strut then went to half strut then they kinda looked at each other and I am pretty sure they decided it was time for an :***: whooping. They dropped fan and came sprinting for my decoys faster than I have ever seen. I starting slipping my gun out the window and inform my dad they are on there way to kick our jakes :***: He peeks out the window and say holy crap they are right there together. I was well aware but they were both too close together for me to shoot, the better bearded one makes the mistake of sidestepping to the left and just as the old man says you better kill him I let him have it in full strut....the feathers fly and I have my bird. :dancin: We exit the blind to find a mess of feathers surrounding my bird as well as a sight I thought was way cool...you could see exactly the path they took through the dew covered clover/weed field. I had to return to the spot for some pics. If you look in the back ground you can see their march to the old jake. A great season for Dad and I both, we both are done and we were together for 2 of the four kills. This bird was 21 lbs, 10 1/2 in beard and 7/8 spurs. I will post a pic here and a bunch more over in the photo gallery....sorry it I got long winded on yall!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
that is sweet and your right those dew trails are awsome you can see just were they came from

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Awesome story and pics!! Congratulations!!:eek: Those dew trails come in handy when you have to backtrack to where you left yer shotgun.:roll2:

Jack

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Awesome stuff MU!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.