Tuna Town

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Wapit1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Wapit1

Wapit1 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Just heading back from our yearly Venice trip w/ full coolers. We did 2 days offshore and 1 inshore. We boated 6 yellowfin biggest 142#, close to 40 blackfin, a nice wahoo, over 100 reds and some other misc. I've got some awesome Captains down there, if anyone wants some info, just pm me IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0013.jpg
    Woods, 20', Pastor and 6 others like this.
  2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    :eek: Holy Fish Fry bat man

Is there any fish left in the ocean

3. hesseu

hesseu Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Wapit1...shoot me some info on who you use. I've gone many times out of Pt. Loma / San Diego, but this def has my interest!
  4. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Nice Haul !!$
  5. watermen

watermen Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Trapper and I and some others did it last year and it is some of the wildest fishing going. Well worth the trip and reasonable as big game fishing goes. 4-500 a day apiece plus a ten dollar license and place to stay. If he has a good skipper with openings it is a great trip and worth doing at least once.
    trapperBR549 likes this.
  6. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Y'all did good! I'll bet pulling in all those tuna wore your butts out! Please PM me your Captain's contact information, I'd like to take my sons on a trip like that.
  7. Wapit1

Wapit1 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    I'll just post the info here instead of replying to all the pm's. We have gone out w/ Capt Donnie Jackson, Tails Up Offshore Charters a couple of times and always crushed it. He is an owner/operator and will work his but off to get you on the fish. His # and website are (504) 313-8339. http://tailsupoffshore.com/contact/. Winter is when the big yellowfin and wahoo are in but weather is hit or miss. We usually go out 45 miles to a dome and freeline. Once the waters warm up, you have to go farther out but catch everything from marlin to mahi mahi but the tuna are generally smaller. Offshore will generally run around $2200 for the day but with 6 guys it will come out at $400-500 per depending on fuel.
    We go after reds inshore w/ Capt James Taylor. His # and website is +1 (225) 229-4330 http://www.taylorsguideservice.com/. Jt also guides ducks on the lower miss. Those bull reds put up a hella of a fight. He runs $250 per person and everything is included on that. We stay at yellow cotton bayside but there are a few lodging options out there. If you give them a shout, let em know Scott sent you and they will hook it up!
    fishshooter and TOBRYAN like this.
  8. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    I'm drooling over the wahoo!!!!
  9. Wapit1

Wapit1 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    By far the best eating of the bunch!
  10. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    That was a fine trip. I've been down for inshore also and just crushed the trout and reds. I would suggest having an option to fish inshore if you can't get offshore due to weather.
  11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Great looking haul. And thanks guys for letting me in on the secret meaning of the exclamation WAHOO! :tup::tup:
  12. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

My Brother inlaw is a charter captain out of Lafitte La. The red fish fishing alone is worth the trip down there. This past winter the fishing never slowed down in the bayou..