Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made it down to Truman on Thursday afternoon. Started fishing at 2:00 pm and was done by 5:00 with a limit of 10 - 13 inch crappie. Fish were in 2-3 feet of water. Would have been done sooner but I threw back 3 or 4 "barely" 10 inchers since the bite was hot and most fish were 11-12 inches. Would have been done even sooner except I lost a lot of fish or missed the bite. Hardly anybody on the lake at all.

Friday I got started around 9 am and was done by noon. Same exact pattern, size, missed bites, lost fish, etc. as the day before. Only thing that was different was the word must have gotten out because there were boats EVERYWHERE. Just had to try and find a bank that noone was on.

I fished jigs with crappie nibbles and I would say Red/Chartruse/White and Red/Blue/White were the best colors.

Oh, I put in at Talley Bend but had to take the LONG way around to get there as the Highway C bridge is under repairs.

Should be a great next few days for those that can make it.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Did I miss something? I thought the limit was 9" and 15 fish.

Reactions: caf4

·
Registered
32,063 Posts
Reactions: caf4

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good catch. Still using the safety pins.
Yep, that way I don't have to count...hahahaha...also easy to grab the pin vs. a squirming, prickly fish when taking them out of the livewell to clean.

Reactions: Clucker

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did I miss something? I thought the limit was 9" and 15 fish.
It is a 9" limit and 15 fish per day (30 possession). I just set a "personal" limit of 10" on Truman since it is usually easy to catch them that big or bigger and there is a big difference in the filet of a 10" vs. 9".

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
been decades since I fished Truman.but they have limit?? Was it gettn fished out?
Been a length and possession limit on Truman since I started fishing it in the mid 1990's. That place is a crappie factory!

·
just a no body
14,281 Posts
Been a length and possession limit on Truman since I started fishing it in the mid 1990's. That place is a crappie factory!
it's been before that since I have fished it and yes it was a Crappie Factory back then..maybe I just dont remember ..age does that to you

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
It is a 9" limit and 15 fish per day (30 possession). I just set a "personal" limit of 10" on Truman since it is usually easy to catch them that big or bigger and there is a big difference in the filet of a 10" vs. 9".
I thought perhaps I had missed a change in the regs. I also only keep crappie 10" or better. Your right there's a good difference between a 9" and a 10" fish. It also keeps a fella from getting a ticket when keeping a "squeaker" 9" fish because your measurement differs from an agents!

·
Deadeye
5,940 Posts
We been using pins for years,my only problem is when you get busy,fish off hook keeping boat in place,going to live well,getting minnow,I some times forget to use the pin in the heat of the moment. I use to fish there a lot.

·
Quack
5,257 Posts
Ive got a measuring tape on my boat that reads if its nine its mine

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
14,203 Posts
True that, but when you catch so few there aren't any to be selective.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive got a measuring tape on my boat that reads if its nine its mine
Nothing wrong with a 9" if that makes you happy. I just have confidence where I am fishing that a limit of 10"+ can be had if I keep after it.

·
Quack
5,257 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 9" if that makes you happy. I just have confidence where I am fishing that a limit of 10"+ can be had if I keep after it.
Ya but similar to deer, the little ones taste better.

·
Gentry County, NE KS
934 Posts
No one ever said “this fish tastes small.”

·
Registered
14,203 Posts
But they will say these fillets are like potato chips

1 - 18 of 18 Posts