Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got's a question for you all about my 1998 Ram 1500 4WD. It has the 360 V8 in it.

Last couple of times I've went to drive it, after starting up, it idles a little rough (not terrible) and when I go to drive it and give it gas, it wants to sputter a little bit. Not enough to make it die, but I do have to feather the gas a little bit. Oh, this is from a dead stop, not when I'm already cruising down the road.

It seems though after it gets warmed up good that it's okay, but still seems to sound a bit "flat". I haven't noticed a drop in power, or any other performance. No service lights or anything like that come on either.

I'm thinking it might be due for some plugs, wires, rotor and cap, but don't know if that sounds like something that will fix the symptoms I've described above??? I'm figuring that would be the most economical fix right now...Well, except to get to the distributor cap. :roll2:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I would say it is a plug trying to foul at least thats where I would start, my toyota is doing the same thing.

·
Trapper Groupie
7,707 Posts
Probably help,maybe fuel filter while your at it

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
thats where it would start. Could be ingectors I wouldn't start replacing them unless I knew for sure they were the problem though. might want to look at a fuel filter too. I've also heard of weak fuel pumps acting up on start up also

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Big L
Fuel filter's in the tank I believe???....:peepwall::peepwall:

And the tank is full...It's 34 gallons...:scared:

Don't know if I wanna try that one....:cheers:

·
6,643 Posts
Your fuel filter should be in the tank. My '01 was I know. It is not "replaceable" to my knowledge. That is what the dealer told me anyway when I inquired about it.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, sounds like the plugs are the place to start at least....Probably should anyway.

Never have changed the plugs, wires, rotor or cap and the truck has 182,000 miles on it. :roll2:

·
Trapper Groupie
7,707 Posts
Originally posted by Heeler75
Fuel filter's in the tank I believe???....:peepwall::peepwall:

And the tank is full...It's 34 gallons...:scared:

Don't know if I wanna try that one....:cheers:
I thought it might have an inline filter on the frame by drivers door maybe not

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big L, I'll look there also. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
14,151 Posts
i say fuel filter....

and a quick fix would be some fuel injector cleaner, ocatane booster or any type of fuel treatment you can buy at caseys......that sometimes helps

·
6,643 Posts
Heeler, if it is the same as mine was there isn't a filter on the frame rail.

·
Trapper Groupie
7,707 Posts
182 k sounds like its been a goodern

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I know there is a filter on the pump in the tank (pain in butt & $$$$) but at 182K I'd start with the plugs and plug wires. do not by the cheap ones at teh parts house though the cheapest ones are junk everywhere

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, it's been very good to me. Granted, I have had to replace many other things on it over the years I've had it. I'm hoping it makes 200,000 without too much more problems.

I was thinking of the Bosh Platinums and then a mid-range type set of wires from O'Reilly's.

·
6,643 Posts
Originally posted by Heeler75
Yes, it's been very good to me. Granted, I have had to replace many other things on it over the years I've had it. I'm hoping it makes 200,000 without too much more problems.

I was thinking of the Bosh Platinums and then a mid-range type set of wires from O'Reilly's.
On the plugs check to see what came in it from the factory and use those. That is one thing the automakers don't skimp on.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I own a bunch of vehicles. I got real good advice years ago... start with the easy and cheap things and work from there!
I'd replace the cap and rotor first. Plugs and wires next. Just cause that's the cheapest way. But if you've never replaced the plugs in 182,000... you're gonna have some serious fun getting them out, I'll bet.:eek:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UrbanHunter, that's what I've always been told also. I like that line of thinking for sure.

Well, I'll try to shoot some WD-40 down in there and let it set all weekend and see if that help or not.

Well, I figure if I'm gonna mess with the cap and rotor (its up under the firewall) I'll just do the plugs and wires while I'm at it since I'll have to put the wires on the new cap. :D

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
4,963 Posts
You'll be lucky if those sparkling bolts have any electrodes left with 182k ...
Id use a rust lubricant instead of wd ...Good luck

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by kgdog
You'll be lucky if those sparkling bolts have any electrodes left with 182k ...
Id use a rust lubricant instead of wd ...Good luck
kdog, you're probably right, but this is the first time it's ever showed symptoms of this, and, heck I can't complain....:D:cheers:

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
BTW... may want to write down the firing order before pulling wires... I like to pull the old cap, put old wires on the new one, side by side. THEN change the plug wires.
I've made every mistake it's possible to make mechanic-ing... except those I haven't had the chance at yet.:boohoo:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts