Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin to get into this trot lineing and ASAP. But I figured maybe there might be someone lookin to get out of it!

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
It like a box of chocolates when you check lines or jugs...

ya never know what yer gonna get! :eek:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
You can make your own, I suspect cheaper than a ready made line...plus, the homemade line can be made as long or short as you like...and the little clips made for the drops are da shizzle!!!!!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
Just be aware that others like reap your hard work sometimes. Have fun!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Snowman, stand by, and I'll grab a catalog that you need to take a look at. Its got all of the supplies you could ever want at the best prices I can find (not to say they are the cheapest, just the best I can find). And once you get it all figured out, let me know, and I'm gonna come down and run some with you for a few days!

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Snowman,

The name of the company is Memphis Net & Twine Co., Inc.

Their web site is www.memphisnet.net

You, and whoever else that is interested in trot line supplies need to give them a call and get a catalog on the way! 1-800-238-6380. Says you can order 24/7.

They've got the BEST trot line and commercial fishing equipment selection that I know of. :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, Parker & Mailman I'm going there now to check them out. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of ???

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
So....ya wanna catch a catfish, eh? Here is a link that tells ya how to make a fancy one with all the right knots and swivels and even a box to keep it in. Click here http://www.marshbunny.com/mbunny/sidetrip/trotline/trotline.html
:hysterical: Mailman! Did you see that the diagram even shows that 5 foot gator?! :hysterical:

Snowman, my opinion is to can the idea of using swivels. Reason being, your line is out there on its own working for a long time. If you're using live bait and they twist the trot around the main line ONE TIME, your swivel is useless. And when you're using a swivel, unless you've got some MAJOR heavy duty ones (eyes on both ends of the swivel, no clamp openings) you're creating a weak point in the line.

A couple years ago, I bought the biggest, heaviest clamp/eye swivels that I could find, and I tested them. The most they would hold before breaking was 30 pounds.

You do need some kind of clamp or knot to each side of each trot, cause a big fish will work his way up and down the line otherwise. I just put a drop knot in the main line and tie my trot to that.

Parker

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds good to me too. Now what about hook size? Lloyd at the marina said #6 for more fish #7 for fewer but bigger fish won't straighten em. WOW thats some big:***: hooks!

Then what about the anchors at the ends of the line. One option sounds like a tree on the bank and 1 anchor the other has an anhor at boff ends. How much weight for and anchor is needed?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Snowman
That sounds good to me too. Now what about hook size? Lloyd at the marina said #6 for more fish #7 for fewer but bigger fish won't straighten em. WOW thats some big:***: hooks!

Then what about the anchors at the ends of the line. One option sounds like a tree on the bank and 1 anchor the other has an anhor at boff ends. How much weight for and anchor is needed?
:hysterical: I use 12/0 circle hooks! :hysterical: But I'm fishing for huge or none. If you want more hook sets, spend a little extra and get kahle hooks in the sizes that he reccommended. You will NOT be disappointed. They won't straighten out as easy as a regular hook either, cause they're designed for the hook to set in the side of the fish's mouth. You'll get more hook sets and loose less bait. A lot of people will tell you its not worth buying them too, and I'm TELLING YOU.....it is.

I use window weights for my weight. They're hard to come by sometimes though. You can make your own easy enough with milk jugs filled with cement, or coffee cans filled with cement with a large eye bolt put in them before the cement sets.

On lake sets, I tie from tree to tree with a weight in the middle of the line. My guess is, where you're at, you're going ot have a lot setups where it would be best to have a free-standing line. You'll have to have someone else explain that exact setup, because I have not used those since I was a youngster, and all I did was run them with dad, I was never the one that set them.

You're going to like setting lines!

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I looked at that web site, and I'd get the Eagle Claw Kahle Black Platinum #7's. $5.08 for a box of 50.

They come in boxes of 50, so that price isn't too bad compared to what I spent on these big mammer jammer circle hooks. :bangin:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
And while you're making an order, you're going to want to get a throw net for shad too. No better bait in the big lakes than fresh cut shad. You'll have to get little live bluegill if you want to go after the flatheads, but I'd start out going after the blues and channels. They're a lot easier to catch and pattern. (in other words, fishing specifically for flatheads kicks my :***: )

Parker

1 - 20 of 43 Posts