Trolling Motor Questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by danceswithbooze, Feb 20, 2006.

1. danceswithbooze

danceswithbooze New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    O\'Fallon
    When we moved to Missouri not only did I have to adjust my hunting techniques to suit this new terrain that I'm already growing to love but I'm having to re-learn fishing a bit as well.

Thr word trolling to me used to mean starting up the 10hp kicker and setting the down riggers.

I'm quickly figuring out that there are not many places in Missouri where this is going to be the case.

I'm thinking that the next piece of equipment that I add to my money pit (boat) will have to be one of those fancy electric trolling motors. And as I've never been in the market before I'm calling on yall for assistance.

I'm clueless (size, thrust, brand, type, length....)

I have an 18' Lund Alaska with side steering and a 70hp o/B

What are your thoughts??

:pop:

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Get a 24 volt (requires 2 battries) Motor Guide bow mount w/ foot control. Make sure the shaft is long enough for that Lund you have. Some get by with the transom mounted ones that are a lot cheaper but if you fish from the front of the boat for bass or crappie they won't work to well. I had one on my bow that was ran by a foot control with a long wire. It was just too sensitive for me. I was zig zaging all over the lake with it. I gave it to my father in law and bought me a regular foot control model where you sit or stand on the front of the boat. Oh yea......Minn Kota make a good one also.

3. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Motor Guide with a breakaway shaft 70lb thrust or more.

4. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Both Motor Guide and Minn Kota make breakaway shafts motors and their are camps that favor both motors. Your boat has a lt of side board so you'll definitely want a 24v and lots of thrust for those windy days. You need to measure from the top of your bow to the water line to see what length of shaft you will need. Also on rough water days your bow will ride up and the motor shaft with it. So you want to have a shaft that is long enough to over come this.

Jack

5. twag

twag Senior Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Lee Summit
    MinnKota or MotorGuide will do ...Bow mounted of course...I like Kotas' CoPilot (wireless) Trolling Motors...totalling:cool: cool:cool:

6. danceswithbooze

Jul 16, 2005
    O\'Fallon
    24v with 70lbs thrust eh?

How long of run time would two batteries get me on this would you guess?

7. Mike911

Mike911 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    I've owned both Motorguide and MinnKota personally I like the Motorguide. I'd definitely go 24 volt and as much thrust as you can afford it's something you won't be sorry you spent the money on.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Motorguide here and no complaints. Depends on how and where you fish though.. do you really need 70# thrust?? might be cheaper options.

LOZ... you need 24 on your boat or you will be sorry.

9. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    My father and I are in about the same situation. We have a 20' Sea Ark with a 120hp yamaha motor. We don't know were to decide between a motor guide or a minn kota. We are getting a 70lb thrust with a break away shaft. But the thing you reallyhave to consider is were you are gonna be fishing and how high your boat sits out of the water. We are getting a 50in shaft. But I would mesure yours to make sure. Hope this helps.

10. danceswithbooze

Jul 16, 2005
    O\'Fallon
    Thanks for the advice. I'm prolly going to price them this weekend. I think I could get by with a 42" shaft and possibly a little less thrust depending on cost. I'll be sure to post my findings.

11. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    No problem. We priced last weekend and i think we're gonna try to buy this weekend. Glad I could help.