Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunting the land we hunt has become a challange in the last few years. Everyone keeps moving there stands around, with out much regard for the true path or habitats of the deer. One guy told me where he is putting his stand this year, which means he has to drive past my stand to get to his. Well, he always wakes up late... So, I have found a neat location for a stand. It is a small opening (50' x 80') in a thick as heck pine grove along a well used deer path. I want to change the habits of the deer and put up a tripod feeder with a timer and fill it with corn. I would like to stay in the $100 - $150 range. If It get ruined or stolen, I don't want to be out a ton of money. Anyone have and experience wiyth these feeders. Also, I will probably buy it at BP, since cabelas isn't here in St. Louis yet.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
Novice, I used to have one of the old kenco plastic tripod feeders that required a 6volt battery. It threw whatever you put in it at dawn and dusk for a programmable amount of time. Worked good until the squirrels ate through the plastic top and kenco wanted a bunch to replace it and they didnt have a metal one. They dont even sell that model now.
Motor was good, timer good...squirrels bad...but then again someone came into my woods and stole it.....:cool3:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All caution has been thrown to the wind... After doing a little research, I found that Moultrie has some close-out metal feeders at a good price. I just blindly went and ordered one. I guess I'll see how it works out. Thanks for the tip about the plastic ones.

·
Registered
70,620 Posts
I have the 30 gallon tripod feeder from Moultrie. It has been going good for three years now with no malfunctions. I go through two to three 6 volt batteries a year. I only have it set out from the first of August til the first of June. Of course I take it down during the hunting seasons. Rule is no corn on the ground 10 days prior the opening of the season or it is considered baiting. Go ahead and get the internal funnel. It will save some corn that always gets hung up inside. I set mine for 8 seconds in the AM and the same in the PM. The deer will actually come running out of the woods when they hear the feeder start spinning. Mine holds a little more than three 50 lb bags of whole corn. Use alkiline batteries only in it. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.