Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Bro Staff
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Atmosphere Mountain Plant Natural landscape
Tagged out on a hammer!
No birds to squeeze on the roost so some last day R&G was it, again. Around 730 we managed to fire one up a long way off, so we boogied his direction checking him ever so often. We got setup and he came up out of the draw hammerin and drummin to the other side of some thick stuff, then it was a follow the drums with my barrel type deal with the ever so often insurance gobble. The top of this little ridge was pretty thick so shots were going to be 25yds and in...until he jumps 5' with a single wing flap to get on on a big fallen tree that was suspended in the air. He was in half strut looking threw the thick stuff trying to pinpoint us. Threw me off for a second, but i adjusted and rolled him off the log at 50yd.

Walking up i made the comment to my lease buddy who was tagging along that if he wasn't a boss pulling that log hopping stunt then i don't know what one is, then we saw he was a triple bearded Godzilla of a turkey with 29" of beard. 1 3/16 - 23lb
Not sure i'll ever top this one and i'm not sure i could ask for more in a turkey hunt.
Until next spring....
Plant Wild turkey Phasianidae Turkey Tree
View attachment 133521
Plant Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Wood

· Banned
81,617 Posts
That's a mossy toed swamp drummer :D

Congrats harv. :cheers:

Reactions: HarvDog

· Bro Staff
13,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nice bird. But, dang we must have a different definition of thick ground cover... at least based on the photos.
Im standing on the edge of the thick stuff where it breaks into open woods. We were about 30yds off a field on the opposite side of an old overgrown road bed. Not the best setup, but that little bit of cover allowed us to move in on that bird. Thank god for the log!

· Banned
81,617 Posts
If he had just been a mossy toe you mighta passed him.

If he had just been a swamp drummer you mighta passed him.

But a mossy toed swamp drumming log hopper is a trifecta and is the epitome of a trophy snooded hog.

Reactions: HarvDog
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.