Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some work done on a small piece of ground I have. Cost share with mdc and I had a ‘mechanical firebreak’ put in along with some areas cleared for ‘permanent forest openings’. Cost ran over, cost share was supposed to be 50%, likely to be somewhere around 25-30% in reality. However I’m satisfied with the quality of work. Soil test underway but I’m planning on putting down some lime. I’ll have to haul it all in on atv, access won’t work for the mfa truck. Goal is to put in a perennial clover plot and mix in some other fall planting at the right time.

Given the late start for seeding clover, any suggestions on how to head that route now since I’ll be planting in late spring/early summer? Also looking for any ideas on lowering cost to lime. Cheapest I’ve seen Pelletized lime is $5.00 at box stores.

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,177 Posts
If you can find pelletized lime that cheap buy it .yesterday...check to see if its calcitic or dolomitic..Get dolomitic if you can ...it typically runs higher than ag lime ....but breaks down faster than ag lime ,but doesnt last as long as ag lime..Good for a couple years,,,,Nice looking killing hole Clover likes a rich soil .....im shocked your ground (looks like on top of a hill) as good as it does after clearing a bunch of trees off ,,,,,,,,,,,Was there any cedars up there ? need a bunch of lime if there was .....Hopefully this wasnt the case

1 - 2 of 2 Posts