Trespassing Coyote Dog Problem - What to do?

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by olebuck, Jan 25, 2017.

1. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    I'm not arguing about right and wrong, just telling you that is going to be an extremely expensive stand you are taking.
  2. trenthartley

trenthartley New Member

Oct 29, 2015
    The guy that had the second post pretty much said exactly what I did. I'm just giving my opinion. Take it or leave it.

3. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Here is what a lot of people don't realize. Most peoples dogs are just that.... dogs.

A hound can be a way different animal. Back when I was younger I logged about 50000 miles breeding to the top studs in the country. One of my females became the third place reproducer in the world for about a five year stretch.

I have seen guys offer $11,000 cash and $25,000 cash for another mans hound. They both turned down the offer. I have seen a lot of hounds bring $5000-$8000. A hound that is worth feeding will bring $2500 easily. I never hunted a hound priced under $2500 that I would have wanted to spend money on dog food for.

As a land owner/deer hunter myself I understand the frustration of "things" disturbing your deer hunting ground. I also in 100% honesty don't worry about hound hunting bothering deer on my property. I used to coonhunt at night and turn around and bowhunt mornings and evenings in the same tracts of land.

I didn't hunt hounds around rifle season for fear of someone blasting one of my dogs if I lost one some night and couldn't get it found for a day or two.
    DCSarchette likes this.
  4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Had two Guys shoot and kill my Beagles Opening Day of Firearms Deer Season on Public Land. I took them to Court and Won my case. They paid dearly for my Dogs.

There is more people out there hunting besides Deer Hunters. Got a Warning one time out Quail Hunting Opening Day of Deer Firearms Season for nor wearing Hunters Orange.

:D :confused: They would shoot the Big Grin.
  5. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    How much did they have to pay ya?
  6. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Illegal as all get out!
  7. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Not to be harsh, but who cares how much someone would or wouldn't pay for your 4-legged friend? I don't really care if you come in riding Secretariat and your friend is riding Seabiscuit. Its about someone coming on my property that I paid for, without permission.

Can I borrow you boat and trailer without asking next time I want to go fishing?
    Lazarus likes this.
  8. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look up oneshot in Case Net. :D
  9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    This.... :eek:: As a matter of fact, i'd welcome them outside of deer season.:wave:

Yotes will muck up your hunting more than those dogs will.
    DCSarchette likes this.
  10. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    100% truth!!!
    DCSarchette likes this.
  11. thwackaddict

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    Just plain law math. You shoot someones unbroken 15 year old plug gelding and it goes to court fair market value "might" be $400.

You shoot a $5 million dollar race horse(comparable to a $50,000 coon hound, or $5000 for that matter), fair market value just landed you a lifetime felon.

You want to pay restitution on a $25,000 dog? or even $2,500.

Here is the REAL sad part behind this discussion. You start down this road and ALL dog hunting can be banned. You say fine? Now why cant animal wackos now push for no deer season? Those animals were on their land feeding in the morning and now they went to your land and you shot one. You shouldnt have the right to do that on your property!!!

This is why the laws protect animals, horses, dogs, cows from being shot. They dont know the property lines.
    DCSarchette likes this.
  12. hesseu

hesseu Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I'm surprised this doesn't constitute trespassing
  13. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Always the excuse for trespassing, the dogs don't but the owners do.
  14. hesseu

hesseu Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I get the not shooting part of it. I guess what I'm surprised by is the law doesn't designate what is wildlife vs domesticated.
  15. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    Its a hound not a person , big difference. you guys don't own the road or the person next to yah. Just like anything else there are good coyote hunters and bad coyote hunters.

Reminds me of the time I had a deputy sheriff come roaring out of his residence and demand that I not shoot his pet yote. I explained to him we started this yote a long ways from him and doubt very seriously that it was his,he kinda gotta in my face and said if I shot that yote when it hit that fence line I was gonna be in big trouble:D

Well the thing of it was the section he was gonna go into had a large cattle yard in it and that wasnt gonna happen if I could help it and there was no way we were gonna be able to turn him back. I checked with the dog guy and he said shoot it:eek: I walked onto the property maybe fifty feet got settled in on the fence post on my side of course:rules: and rolled that sucker.
    To say he was pissed would be a understatement. I just looked at him and said I know you don't own this ground and you rent the house from the same guy and he says kill everyone of them and he happens to riding in that white truck over there, you might want to go talk to him:D

Morale of the story not everyone wants coyotes dead but we have our rights, but don't get in my face if your landlord does;)
  16. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    Why shoot umm? That's illegal...

bacon and lots of Golden Marlin would probably do the trick

or natural sea sponge about the size of a tennis ball cooked down to a marble sized piece in bacon greese
  17. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Ahhh the possitive side of cwd , no deer equals no worries of when you can run your dogs. Don't get me wrong I enjoy deer hunting but I enjoy listing to my dogs more and you eliminate all the hassle and obsession of everyone wanting to kill the next big buck.:D:wave:
  18. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    You guys seem awful concerned about the hunters trespassing on your land and I cant think of one time of trespassing onto somebodys land to go retrieving some hounds that we didn't have permission to go on .And if we didn't we went to the house and asked to get them and not once have we been turned down,
    Not saying we haven't got some butt chewings from some of the landowners , but in all the years I can not remember ever going back to them again to bayed dogs. You guys couldn't be exaggerating a bit or maybe you just think you hear dogs means there hundreds of guys trepasssing and having their way with your land:D
    DCSarchette likes this.
  19. olebuck

olebuck Member

Aug 20, 2007
    De Kalb, Missouri
    Unfortunately i think the point has been missed. Between 6 landowners, we total a section of land. On this section the LANDOWNERS do not want dogs running and the hunters have been told. They say they can't control where their dogs run and they know they won't get in trouble as long as they (people) don't trespass and obviously the dog cannot read "No Trespassing" signs. Being my own property, i should be able to control what happens on my property. A lot of you here say let em run..It won't hurt anything...Well i like to call and shoot my own coyotes on my own property. These type of hunters who don't care what a landowner says, do you think they won't shoot if a 180" buck comes running out?? I manage my property for deer and enjoy doing it. My deer numbers are very poor in my area and 5 miles away they are very good. Now is there a reason for this? Dogs, Poachers? I don't know.. all i know is we arn't talking about if it is ok for them to run or not when a landowner says no it means NO! As for some of you saying shoot them...I can't and won't do that. I wouldn't want someone else doing that to my dog. And no i don't live in Gower, MO any more...:)
  20. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    I heard of a group chasing deer for over 42miles the other day