Trespasser stand. What to do? Update

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by bigm, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bigm

bigm New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Columbia Mo.
    Went yesterday afternoon to hunt the 40 ac. behind my house on the Columbia city limits boundery. On my way to the stand noticed a new stand had been put up (second one i've found this year). Looked like it was in a pretty good spot so decided to hunt it. Had two 4pts. and a nice ten point ( 120-130 ) walk 25 yds. in front of me. Thought about taking it down at first but decided to leave it up and if someone shows up I'll watch him take it down. My son hunted it today. What would you do?:confused: Chained the stand with my number attached. The stand and chain disapeared in the middle of the day, and he didn't even call to thank me for the use of my tree. At least he left the screw in steps to offset the cost of the lock. Very thoughtful of him! :)

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    if its on your property, i would put a HUGE chain and padlock on it with a note with my number, and when i could be reached to retrieve said property.
    its in a good spot, so i'd keep hunting it. :shrug:
    maybe it was a gift:D

3. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    Id take it down unless you have someone hunting it, or you are out there everyday to watch and see who comes. It wouldn't be too fun to find out a big ole buck got smoked when you werent around.

I would take it down and leave a note with your phone number. I doubt they will call you back. :cheers:

4. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    I am guessing they did not have a tag with their name and contact info attached to the stand! I would wait till they showed up, and call the CO! They can watch him take it down with you! I am past the point of putting up with tresspassers!

BTW, LOVE the idea of hunting who evers stand!

5. joebuck

joebuck New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    St. Peters
    Like stated above, chain and lock it with note and continue hunting a good area out of it. Put it to use while you have it>

6. lma

lma Active Member

:rof2::rof2::rof2:Hunted in "their" stand.....:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

7. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I like Jeremys idea of the huge chain and pad lock with your number with "Call Me". End of season if no call....you got yourself a new stand.

8. bigm

bigm New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Columbia Mo.
    [rquote=1875125&tid=130614&author=Mailman]I like Jeremys idea of the huge chain and pad lock with your number with "Call Me". End of season if no call....you got yourself a new stand.[/rquote]Think I like that idea also. I have anouther guy hunting it tomorrow. Hate to see it hanging there vacant.:whistle:

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Hate to see it hanging there vacant.:whistle:[/rquote]

:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::2thumbsup:

what kind of ameture tresspasser is this anyway? hanging a stand in a good spot and not hunting it the best 2 weeks of bow season...for shame i say:hysterical:

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1875132&tid=130614&author=bigm][rquote=1875125&tid=130614&author=Mailman]I like Jeremys idea of the huge chain and pad lock with your number with "Call Me". End of season if no call....you got yourself a new stand.[/rquote]Think I like that idea also. I have anouther guy hunting it tomorrow. Hate to see it hanging there vacant.:whistle:[/rquote]

That's exactly what I'd do. Best case scenario, you're in it when he comes to hunt it so you can put the run on him proper like.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm with Jeremy, chain and lock it.
    If it's an old cheapy, cut the tree so it falls on it.:D they might get the hint! Done that one before.

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, just another thought...
    Leave the stand, take the ladder...:rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:

14. Barnold1

Barnold1 Senior Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Plattsburg
    I'd just take it and let them wonder what happened to it.

15. RAKMAN

RAKMAN Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cape Girardeau
    If its a lock on, turn it upside down. Guy wont know whats going on.

16. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I've had that same scenario happen a couple times this year. I'd LOVE to catch someone in it, but oddds of that aren't too high. I lease all my hunting ground and the land owner asked we handle things by taking the "high" road as opposed to starting turf wars. :shrug:
    I toss the gear on the ground with a love note and it is gone the next time I head through that area. I have the local CO's info and remind the trespasser I can have the CO come get his gear for him. :wave:

17. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Be funny to see their face if they walked up to the tree and the whole rig was 20' up and upside down, ladder sticking out just a bloowwin' in the wind! THAT be the HIGH road!

18. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I say take it and put a note in a ziplock pinned to the tree stating if they want your stand to call.

19. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    He prolly got permission to hunt that piece of ground from a friend of a friends uncle about 23 years ago.... So, it's all good....:stickfight:

20. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

When I find them, I take them down and leave the name and number of the landowner to call to retrieve the stands.