Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to put out my other four treestands today....and I didn't get any of them in.

1) I got out there, and there was poison ivy in every tree I wanted to hunt out of, and I didn't feel like getting my 5th case of it for the summer.

2) I found a tree that was in a less desirable location, and after I got 4 screw-in steps in, and I went one rung up and twisted my knee.

I am VERY flipping tired of the screw in steps. I don't like heights and I'm not agile enough swinging from the trees to put them in like I want.

So.....my question is:

Should I sell the tree steps and get climbing sticks, or should I scratch the whole stand setup, sell my four hang on stands and screw-in steps, and get ladder stands?

And if anyone is interested in buying Ameristep Grizzly steps from me, let me know.

Parker

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
If I could--I'd have nothing but ladder stands.
They just are not portable enough for a big old guy like me that hunts in several locations----:cheers:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Are you totally against climbers? If you have good trees for climbing they can be quiet and mobile.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No climbers for me. No trees where I'm at to use them on.

I'm not looking for them to be portable either. They usually go in in August and come out in February. Once they're in a spot, they stay.

I have one 'backpack' ladder stand that I move to other locations if need be.

I don't think you need two people for ladder stands if you have a climbing harness.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Plasticman
If I could--I'd have nothing but ladder stands.
They just are not portable enough for a big old guy like me that hunts in several locations----:cheers:
I don't mind carrying them at all. I have no problem putting all the work into them that needs to be except for the climbing the trees. Not liking heights, it stresses me OUT! :D

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Landlover
I would get some Lone Wolf climbing sticks if I were you. They were some of the best money I have ever spent. They are light, stack well, and very easy to put up.
Do you know what the weight capacity is for these? Its not on Cabela's. I need them to be at least 300.

Parker

·
Registered
903 Posts
Climbing sticks. That way, you can use the stands you have. Also, they're a little easier to hide than a ladder stand. Probably doesn't matter to the deer, but I've had stands stolen and the less conspicuous, the better for me.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH! And I forgot to mention 3) and 4) from today!

3) I've been having VERY few deer go by my cameras, so I moved one, and pulled the other one. :mad:

4) The buckwheat I planted IS DEAD! :mad2:

Just a great day in the woods all the way around! Did I mention that the skeeters tore me up?! :bangin:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Rebelcj7
A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at the office :cheers:
........this was a BAAAAAAAD day rebel. This was the only day I can think of that may stand a chance at rivaling that quote......

Parker

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
........this was a BAAAAAAAD day rebel. This was the only day I can think of that may stand a chance at rivaling that quote......

Parker
Bro, from yer posts I can tell it was a bad day.. BUT, I was in an office 3/4 of the day... Regardless of how bad it was for you.. man i would have paid anything to be there, with out a doubt!!!!!!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Parker
Bro, from yer posts I can tell it was a bad day.. BUT, I was in an office 3/4 of the day... Regardless of how bad it was for you.. man i would have paid anything to be there, with out a doubt!!!!!!
:cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
I JUST read a post on "another forum" where the guy's screw-in step collapsed on him, and sent him for a long trip down. He nearly didn't make it, but was able, finally, to get to his 4wheeler and his cellphone. He's messed up pretty good, probably for the whole season. For that reason alone, get sticks or a ladder!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

And if anyone is interested in buying Ameristep Grizzly steps from me, let me know.
You make them sound so good how could anyone resist?

Honestly--I'd go with the climbing sticks. Much easier to get them in and out of the woods. And a LOT more stable than screw ins

·
Registered
449 Posts
watch the farm stores Parker, the one down here called Bucheit's has 15' ladder stands for just under $48 bucks on sale atm

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytaholic
watch the farm stores Parker, the one down here called Bucheit's has 15' ladder stands for just under $48 bucks on sale atm
we don't ahave bucheits in north missouri as far as i know sure would pick some up at that price if i could.

now parker my prefecne is summit climbing steps there pretty nice and stick away from the tree so you can get you feet in them good

i hate screw in steps they are suicide

personally ladderstands are the safest hands down but since you have the hang ons already get some steps that would be the cheapest route for you

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
hey parker are the beans up there turning yellow yet?

what about accrons are they falling they are here and i would bet the deer are starting to chase them there small but lots of them not as many as last year but still several

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
hey parker are the beans up there turning yellow yet?

what about accrons are they falling they are here and i would bet the deer are starting to chase them there small but lots of them not as many as last year but still several
When I can thru northern Missouri yesterday there were lots of the patches that were turning yellow---corn is getting placed in the sotrage bens and I didn't see a lot of acorns this week-end---

But---In SW Mo--the acorns are falling and it looks to be right in line with what we saw last year---they are everywhere and the size of quarters or bigger-----Here we go again!:stickfight:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.