Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never trapped and I'm interested in settting out a few for a some bobcats that are regulars on my trail camera. Can you give me a short rundown on the rules...do I need a special permit, what if I get something I didn't intend to trap, ect...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
only thing you need is a trappin license which runs $10.

if ya catch a cat you gotta get a tag from the MDC to legally keep it.

if ya catch something you dont want. step on the head/neck, but dont get bit then take the trap off the leg and step back real quick. i grab the tail on opposums. on domestic dogs. tie a loose noose with the wire and thow it over their head pull down hard so the dog cant get up and the wire is kinda chokin the dog. have someone hold the wire or tie it off, then take the trap off the leg. then untie the wire and put a bead on the dog, if he trys to attack... lights out.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
only thing you need is a trappin license which runs $10.

if ya catch a cat you gotta get a tag from the MDC to legally keep it.

if ya catch something you dont want. step on the head/neck, but dont get bit then take the trap off the leg and step back real quick. i grab the tail on opposums. on domestic dogs. tie a loose noose with the wire and thow it over their head pull down hard so the dog cant get up and the wire is kinda chokin the dog. have someone hold the wire or tie it off, then take the trap off the leg. then untie the wire and put a bead on the dog, if he trys to attack... lights out.
:rof2: love the last part:hysterical:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
:D

this year we had an unfortunate fox trap set that caught a dog. no collor, mangly mut, nearest house 2 1/2 miles away. we use the noose tecnique to let him go. my .45 was on him when my buddy let go of the wire. glad i caught his 2 toes instead of his leg. he ran off with no limp. after we got to thinkin. we knew it had to be a wild dog.

one of my buddies caught his other buddy's dog around a week ago. they put out traps on his 400 acres. went to check them and notice they caught their cattle dog.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Kind

What kind of traps do I need to buy?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I have 5 #3 Duke longsprings and a#3 dogless Bridger I'd sell for $50 . If you are intrested I will u2u a pics. The springs are in good shape and those is what you would use for cats, coyotes, the only reason I'm selling them is I now use Duke #3 coilspring , I also have a 1/2 dozen duke 160 conibeir (**** trap) I'd sell to . If you have any ??? just u2u me

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U2U At Ya

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am in the same boat....bought some traps made some rebar stakes and can't wait to up there on sunday to get them set. Check out trapperman.com, its a forum like this, set up an account and read the threads. Also there are some videos on youtube on setting traps for yotes etc.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
CGPD255,Theres way too much to tell you about ,I don't like to type anyway. I'd be glad to help you any way I can. If you want , pm me and I'll send you my phone #.Also,go here,http://evertrap.proboards32.com/index.cgi Its mostly all Mo trappers and a lot of good info and guys willing to help.
Be advised,You can't use the 160 conibears on land.There are certain ways you can but you need to know the regs.
Like I said,shoot me a pm and we can talk about it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help...I have talked to a few people at work and think I have the basics concept down!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have a little advice on this subject.The problem with coyotes & bobcats is holding them once you get them in the trap (especially coyotes) .The bare minimum size trap I use for both is a #3 coil spring, 4 coiled with offset laminated jaws,extra base plate & center swiveled & at least double swiveled on the chain, staked with an Iowa disposable stake or similar cable stake.
Best traps for coyote IMO in order of preferance =
1. Sterling MJ600 (pricey & hard to find, but ready to go right out of the box)
2. MB 650 (fully modified as stated above, availible from Minnesota Trapline Products)
3. Northwoods #3 off set jaws (No longer made & have to be modified, pricey if you can find them)
4. Montgomery #4 dogless offset jaws (no longer made & almost impossible to find & have to be modified)
5. Bridger #3 offset jaws (fully modified,readily avaible from Minnesota Trapline Products)
4. Victor #3 round offset jaw (Readily avaibile , have to be modified & the pan has to be cut down)

If you are setting land sets you are gonna have to deal with coyotes !

IMO, Anything less & you are just educating & crippling coyotes, yes you can catch coyotes & bobcats in less but not as effeciently.
I have never used Duke or Sleepy creek traps & cannot judge them.
As far as lure & bait goes O'Gorman products are simply the best, with several others coming in second

The best companys I've recieved service from are =
1. Minnesota Trapline Products.
2. Craig O'Gorman .
3. The Snare Shop

Best books to read =
1. Hoofbeats of a Wolfer by Craig O'Gorman
2. Bobcat Trapping Methods by Slim Pederson

Just my opinion from over 30 years of trapline experience, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by CGPD255
what if I get something I didn't intend to trap, ect...

Thanks!
You need a hog catcher, cheap at your local feed store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts