Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Chiefs FANatic
10,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reset my traps sunday.

I did a flat set like you were saying. cept I didn't have a way to stake the deer leg down. So I just put a trap above and below it. First pic was before I covered the the last trap. second is finished product. I am using Hawbaker's long distant call 600. I didn't see any yote sign near but is in a pretty visible spot near a pond.

second set I put out was a hole set below a pelvic bone. This one has been out since last week it had froze up so I reset and baited again. There was alot of water in the hole so I just scented with a stick on the edge of the hole. Will the water in the hole matter?

Still not real sure on where to put sets but this one had yote sign near when I first put it in.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
looks good dude!:2thumbsup:

ive tied a cotton tail to a tree with wire before and had the cotton tail gone, but my traps un thrown. sneaky lil cats or foxes, i think.

i set out some sets today with beaver feet. see what happens. couldnt beleive i sweated so much settin traps today. usually my hands are so cold i can barly set a trap.

:rock:

im runnin outa bait. might have to try to catch some perch or kill somethin.....

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Rabbit works great, never had much luck with squirrel, I think humans & birds are the only things that eat em. :rof2:

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
tree rats i say tastie though

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looking good Nathan.Rabbit is great,I've done just ok with squirrel .Turkey legs are great too as well as the carcass. The idea behind staking down the legs is they will move around a lot trying to get away with it,getting caught in the process.I'd probably put my trap closer to the bones for a front foot catch,usually their feet are right under their nose.I usually crowd the hole with the trap on a hole set. The pan ends up being about 4in. back and offset to the right,with the dog at about 3 o'clock.Good luck buddy,looking forward to seeing some catch pics.Let me know if you need anything.
Mike

·
Chiefs FANatic
10,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the traps this morn and the flat set was found!! Looks like I need to bed the traps better. I went ahead and reset the trap but I will try and get em closer to the bone thursday or over the weekend. I had to smile though knowing it pulled one in!! :cheers:

So how do you go about staking the bone down?? Since a trap was found should I relocate this set or let it ride?

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
I think if you reset it your gonna find it dug up again, guess we'll see :pop:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You're dirty, take a clean trap & use the dirty one as the bait, right where it lays. You've got a smarta** on yer hands & he just challenged you:rock:

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
Originally posted by Mojorisin
You're dirty, take a clean trap & use the dirty one as the bait, right where it lays. You've got a smarta** on yer hands & he just challenged you:rock:
I think that would do it :cheers:

Nothing is a smack in the face like when they dig the trap up and flip it over :stickfight:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by fishshooter

Nothing is a smack in the face like when they dig the trap up and flip it over :stickfight:
ya ever had one leave their calling card on top of it after they flipped it over ? It sucks.

racks-n-beards that could be a red or a yote either way you got yer hands full now, you gotta be super clean & bedded right from now on, I'll bet ya a dollar it's a Mama yote & she will keep at it till you catch her.

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
Yep, I have. That's why I thought about putting a camera on the trap, if the smart yote did something the same everytime they approach the set, that could make the job of catching the problem animal a little easier

Mabey I outta bring in the FFG article I seen the other day.

A control trapper who they called in when others had failed would stack 5 gallon buckets and leave them in the field a while and then make a set there and take the buckets. Can't remeber all the details but it was quite a read.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yep, I have. That's why I thought about putting a camera on the trap, if the smart yote did something the same everytime they approach the set, that could make the job of catching the problem animal a little easier

Mabey I outta bring in the FFG article I seen the other day.

A control trapper who they called in when others had failed would stack 5 gallon buckets and leave them in the field a while and then make a set there and take the buckets. Can't remeber all the details but it was quite a read.
That makes sense, I guess what he was doing was creating a high profile spot that suddenly changed, of course they are gonna check it out.

·
Chiefs FANatic
10,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

ya ever had one leave their calling card on top of it after they flipped it over ? It sucks.

racks-n-beards that could be a red or a yote either way you got yer hands full now, you gotta be super clean & bedded right from now on, I'll bet ya a dollar it's a Mama yote & she will keep at it till you catch her.
:thinking: This could get fun.

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
:hysterical: Ohh i think it's already begun................................glad we got plenty of popcorn :pop:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm gonna try to help racks-n-beards catch this smarta**.
Let's make what O'Gorman & I call the Mafia set were gonna make it an offer it can't refuse, yer gonna back off the dirty trap & the deer torso & make a real flatset so as to intercept the culprit before it gets there, try to figure out its approach, Trail, timberline, fenceline, pond bank, etc. Make your set at a spot where the k9 will stop to look around before it approaches the original set. Make your flat set, bedded good & blended perfectly & place 1 coyote or fox dropping 10" upwind on the dog side of your trap, nothing else (yet). if no action after 3 days or so put 2 or 3 drops of urine (red fox or coyote) on the dropping & relure every 3 days. Keep the deer torso set working, if it gets dug up again its a coyote if not it's a red.

·
King of Callaway
42,631 Posts
I'm betting on a yote :claphands:

·
Chiefs FANatic
10,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I have to find a yote turd and get some urine scent?.? :D

Earlier this year saw a few yotes crossing the field heading to the direction of that torso set, south to north. Not positive but kinda leads me to believe that yote did that. All the digging was from the south side of the set. There is a terrace bout 30 feet from this set. Your idear sounds like a good plan. I wont have time to put in the new flat set for a few days. So may get to see if it works the set over again.
:whistle: I am only workin with 3 traps so should I pull the one above the torso or pull the one from the hole set?

How territorial are yotes? could I get a different one possibly stopping by?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts