Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Height, About 3 feet, Direction north or south so that you don't get glare from the sun. Depending on where you set it, say on a trail, make sure that you angle it enough that it will catch the deer (trigger speed). In other words don't set it at a 90 degree angle to the trail. Also I set mine about 20-25 feet from where i think the deer will travel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I always set mine about 4' off the ground , not facing the sun, and try to parallel the cam with a trail if you haven't got it on a food source or mineral lick

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,684 Posts
In the early part of the year, I set them 2-5' off the ground. From late August on, I'll hang most of my cams as high as I can reach off of my rack on the 4 wheeler angled down. Couple reasons for this. #1 bucks don't seem to be as spooked by flash from above. #2 If someone is tresspassing, it makes it tougher for them to spot the cam & more difficult for them to steel it (unless they're on a 4 wheeler too). Luckily, I haven't had any trouble with #2. I'll put IR cams at whatever level I want.

Jason mentioned watching direction. The reason I'm careful about pointing them E & W is that the sun will warm vegetation higher than the ambient temp, then when the wind blows it, you'll get false triggers. Motion detectores in cams require temp change & movement to trigger the control board.

Where to place them, that's the $1000 question. Some days I think I have the answer to that, others I don't have a clue. Spring-early summer, over minerals, over water holes & creek crossings & green browse plots like clover & wheat.

Closer to the rut, on heavy used trails, field edges, scrapes & rub lines.

Goldtip ,
I just read your signature. I really like that quote. How true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.