Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Depends....if you've got plenty of memory (digital cam), then 1 - 5 minutes. If you don't have much memory, and don't have access to check the trail cam (over a lick), IMO a longer setting would be best, 5 - 20 minutes.

For intstance: myself, I live 2 hours from my trail cam, thus I set it for 5 minutes, because I want a lot of pics, but not to many. I have a 1 Gig card in my digital camera. I could of set it to 2 minutes, but I didn't think I would be out there until August, thus I elected to go with 5 minutes. Somewhat of crap shoot here....If I set to 30 secs, my memory could be filled up in 2 - 3 weeks, thus my camera sits dormant for 3 - 4 weeks. So, I elect to strike a medium, and take pics of time versus quantity.

In addition, If you're setup on a trail, I would use 30 secs - 2 minutes.

The set back to mineral licks is, repetitive pics of the same deer. So, the question is, how long do they lick before leaving? If you're set to 5 minutes, best hope they move on in 4 minutes.

I'm itching to see the pics I have thus far on my cam! In fact, I think I'm going to change out my narrow PIR lense for a wide angle in the fall (downtime).

Attachments

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
Lick.....every 20 minutes or so. Trail......every 2 minutes or less. Over the lick you will get repeat pics of momma deer and her babies over and over. They tend to linger. As for a trail there may be a batchler group of bucks and after the little forkie gets his pic taken the 12 pointer right behind him may slip by without any documentation on film.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Personally, I leave them all on 10 sec. double pic. I only use 256 mb cards or larger. If I get a whole card of *****, I hit delete. Sometimes, I get a lot of pics of the same good buck.

Nice cam SmokinBarrel. Is that a p41 hiding in there? I remember the other day you asked me about wide angle fresnel & I didn't respond. Sorry. I have only used .65 lens so far. From what I read, the main advantage to wide angle is it pics up movement earlier, thus more animals centered in the pic. I'm not having much trouble with that. P41 is super fast.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, that's a P41 inside thar! I just set my deercam out, and hopefully I'll get some good pics...centered pics. But, I think I'll miss having a wide angle lense. We'll see, hopefully it'll prove me wrong, but I hate having "going away" shots.

·
Registered
70,466 Posts
My previous post on this subject was for the ancient 35 mm film game camera that I have. If'n I had a digital I'd set it to take as many as it can and delete the ones I don't want. Digital is a whole different world when it comes to game cameras. It is a whole new ball game.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts