Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An older gent wanted some of the spare lapidary equipment I have and wanted to do part trade, part cash deal. He had just said he had an old .22 that belonged to his late Father in law.
When he brought it out I was surprised to see the resemblance to an M1 Garand! I had heard of them, but never seen one.
This one hasn't been cleaned in who knows how long, and there is some surface rust here and there, especially on the checkered steel butt plate.
It is marked Ranger 101- 16. Any other markings are likely covered by the scope mount.
I need this like I need a hole in the head, but it was too unusual to turn down.
Also picked up a sweet Heritage Rough Rider .22 LR/.22 Mag peestola in excellent condition.
Tire Wheel Product Automotive tire Wood
Automotive exterior Material property Gas Auto part Metal
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Material property Bumper
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Wow Arlen! I have never seen one like that. I don't recognize it but a couple things have a very "Mossberg" look them. Cool old 22 whatever it is!!

· Registered
5,607 Posts
From what I could find on them it will only shoot the long rifle ammo in semi auto. If you shoot longs or shorts you press in the knob and operate it as a bolt action. Cool old gun.

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did Stevens make a military trainer model of their "gill" gun ?
from the limited info I found, the Stevens was meant for civilian sales. Springfield made a model 97M and a few for the military actually had the an RIA for Rock Island Armory stamped in the stock. Those would be more valuable, but this is still a cool old gun! It has a quite old Sears 4X scope on it that is surprisingly clear and sharp

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I could find on them it will only shoot the long rifle ammo in semi auto. If you shoot longs or shorts you press in the knob and operate it as a bolt action. Cool old gun.
From what I read, another unusual operation of the action is the bolt stays back until the trigger is released resulting in the nickname of "Clickety Clack" as well as "Gill gun" from the vented action.
Think I will clean it up and run a few rounds through it just for grins

· Registered
13,838 Posts
If you go to rimfirecentral.com, the Savage forum will let you know a lot about the rifle you have. Savage made gazillions of them in various forms, under the Savage name, but they also made them under the Springfield name, and the Stevens name, too. They made them for Sears, Coast-to-Coast, and anyone else's name they could talk into buying them. They had an excellent sales staff in those days, too! I suspect that if you looked at ten rifles, you'd find nine different "brand names" on them. They were really popular back then, as they were affordable and prolific (think 10/22 or Marlin 60 of their day).
Since yours is a "Ranger", it would have been made for Sears.

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you go to rimfirecentral.com, the Savage forum will let you know a lot about the rifle you have. Savage made gazillions of them in various forms, under the Savage name, but they also made them under the Springfield name, and the Stevens name, too. They made them for Sears, Coast-to-Coast, and anyone else's name they could talk into buying them. They had an excellent sales staff in those days, too! I suspect that if you looked at ten rifles, you'd find nine different "brand names" on them. They were really popular back then, as they were affordable and prolific (think 10/22 or Marlin 60 of their day).
Since yours is a "Ranger", it would have been made for Sears.
Makes sense with the vintage Sears scope on it. I read that many say the shoot pretty good

· Registered
6,992 Posts
It's a Stevens 87 branded as Sears 101. And yes, some were used as military trainers...
If you Google "Ranger 101 16" you should find plenty of info and pictures. I have seen/sold three or four over the years, and if cleaned up and functioning correctly, they are actually excellent shooters.

Reactions: Dafish

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange looking scope rings.....are they doubled?
Yep. oddest mount(s) I have ever seen! It has a side mount with screws as well as a dovetail mount all in one. the rifle of course does not have dovetails, so the rear sight has been removed to accommodate the scope. I have no idea if this was something that was available at the time, or if it was cobbled together.
The Sears 4x scope is amazingly clear and sharp. Not much eye relief, but with no recoil that isn't an issue

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.