Tracker boats

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by 1FastCam, Apr 16, 2006.

1. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    The other half and myself are debating buying a boat for fishing, and we both like the Pro Crappie 175. Does anyone have this boat? If so can you tell me/us if its a good deal?

We arent looking for speed. Just something to get around the lake and fish from.

Shanksh.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    From personnal knowledge don't waste your money on any Tracker boat made of sheet metal. The metal is thinner than the next guys boat and the rivets pop out easy. That is why they are cheaper than the other makes out there. Thinner metal equals cheaper price to the customer. They end up leaking like a rusty old bucket. Spend a few dollars more and get yourself a Lowe. Mine is 20 years old. I can't believe I have had it that long. I dosen't leak a drop. I use it a week at a time running across rough water and drag it up on the rocky banks at Truman all the time. The last trip I had it tied to the dock for 5 days and it didn't have a drop of water in it when I left. They may cost a little more when you buy it but it will last and last. Mine still looks almost new except the faded blue carpet. My 2 cents.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Ditto, ditto, ditto....

Not much wrong with tracker boats... I just agree with Mailman on the quality of Lowe...

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I checked the hull thickness of the Tracker compaired to the Lowe. Tracker has .090 gauge and the Lowe has .072 gauge (the smaller the number the thicker the thickness). If I had to buy another boat today it would be this one (click here) http://www.lowe.com/fishboats/angler/AN165S.html# I don't have a reason to buy one yet because my 20 years old Lowe is still going strong. The tracker boat that you are looking at would be fine for a occasional fisherperson but I just like the ruggedness of my Lowe.

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Alumacraft makes a nice boat!

6. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I bought my Pro 17 new in 1989 and have never had any problems at all. The carpet needs to be replaced as does the in-dash depth gauge--but this poor boat has been thru some pretty rough times as well as it goes year round-------I'll buy a new Tracker when this one gives up the goast!:cheers:

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i have to but a vote in for mailmans choice we have a laundau which is nearly the same thing you go north to the land of lakes and take a look at what you see hard core water and i bet 90 percent of the boats are lowes.
    hard to beat.

i am not a big fan of bass pro boats you have to take what you see or your pretty much SOL.
    go to a lowe dealer and you can get them to work with you get things set up and designed like you want. that is a big deal to some if you like that package that bps has though and that where the budget falls theres alot of those boats out there and i have looked at them they look pretty nice. but not the route i would go personally.

8. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I work in the marine industry and highly advise against a Tracker. My dad bought his second about 4 yrs ago and it has been nothing but problems. My opinion is go with an Xpress. Very solid and durable boat. And you can throw some HP's behind the transom too.

9. bought a pro-guide v-16 last may at bsp, and it's currently in the shop for repairs after only 20 hours of use. we've had problems with the trolling motor, live well, bolts falling out of several seats, faulty gauges, deck screws working their way out, and a few other items. I like the layout of the boat for fishing, but am very dissapointed with the quality. would I buy another tracker--probably not.

10. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I bought a used Bass Tracker about 10 years ago and the boat was about 10 years old at the time. I was concerned about the rivets - cause I had heard that they could be a problem. Had the boat for 8 1/2 years and it never leaked a drop. I only had it out a handfull of times each year, so I sold it a year and a half ago. It may depend on the amount and type of use you plan on as far as how the boat will hold up.

11. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Thanks Y'all! I'll have to do some more research I guess. I knew they were cheap for a reason, but just not why. Now I know.

Preciate the advice!:cheers:

12. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    go with an alumacraft! i just bought one and it is very solid and stable. its not big by any means being a 1546, but it has been in some rough water already and held its own pretty good w/out takin on water!

but one word of advice, get a welded hull and not a riveted hull. because they usually use heavier guage metal on the hull, and there are no potential holes that need to be plugged because of a loose rivet

and get a modified V over a flat rake bottom, the boat will ride better in the water!

good luck on your boat venture

13. vulcan2

vulcan2 New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Missouri hills
    I live and fish a lot on the Lake of the Ozarks, (rough, rough rough) Lived here for 45 yrs. I finally broke down and bought a LUND in 1999 and I should have done that 30 yrs. ago. Best boat I've ever had and I've went through a few brands ( including champion,lowe, landeu, alweld, richline) over the years. save money in the long run and buy a LUND to start, it will be the best boat money you ever spent.
    Now I'm off to Truman to work on those crappie you've all been talkin about.

Happy fishin,

Vulcan2

14. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    I have had my Tracker Pro Team 185 for 2 years and this is the third season. I fish hard and run hard and have not had a problem with anything. The fishing features are great, two big rod lockers, recirc/aerated live well and tons of storage. For the price and what you get they are a good deal to me. BTW vulcan, look on the fishing threads and see the pics of our Truman crappie from last weekend.