·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Town and Country deer herd is thinned
By Stephen Deere
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
12/23/2009

TOWN AND COUNTRY -- Residents will still have to guard their gardens and dodge the deer on the roads. But they hope just not as often.

The deer herd became a little thinner in the past few weeks as sharpshooters took out 108 and four died after capture. A hundred were sterilized. Town and Country's deer population was estimated to be between 700 and 800.

For a city overrun with the four-legged creatures for more than a decade, the Christmas present came at a cost of $150,000.

The city had gotten approval from the Missouri Department of Conservation to have as many as 200 deer shot and another 200 sterilized. But Fred Meyland-Smith, chair of the city's Deer Herd Management Task Force, said they city never intended to reach those numbers.

The city conducted the sterilization and shooting during the first 16 days of this month.

Meyland-Smith said he isn't sure what the city will do in the future to manage the deer herd.

"We recognize it's an ongoing matter," he said.

Wildlife experts have said the city attracts deer with its large residential lots that offer ample food sources and places to hide.

According to the last deer head count in 2004, Town and Country had 68 deer per square mile and has grown since then. The conservation department recommends having no more than 25 deer per square mile.

This wasn't the first time the city has tried to reduce the numbers.

From 1999 to 2001, it trapped and relocated 233 deer at a cost of about $360 each. Although the program was intended as a humane method for controlling the deer problem, a study found that 20 percent died from the stress of being captured.

This time around, it appears a much smaller percentage died from being caught. White Buffalo, a Connecticut-based wildlife management company, outfitted 25 of the deer it sterilized with radio transmitters. Two of those deer died after being netted and sterilized. Two other deer were euthanized after they sustained broken legs while being captured.

The city had spent more than two years contemplating methods for controlling the deer population. Residents fiercely debated proposals. Some maintained the deer gave the city its pastoral charm.

"I'm totally disgusted at Town and Country city officials," said Jim Ambrozetes, who opposed killing deer. "Regardless of what anyone says, I think our community has been destroyed by the fact that we killed deer."

Others maintained the deer were a threat to the health and safety of residents.

Mary Whaley, a trustee in the Mason Valley subdivision where the deer have been particularly abundant, said the city walked a fine line aiming to please the two different camps.

Overall, she said White Buffalo did a good job.

"We didn't even know they were in the area," she said.

She thinks it might take a while to notice a difference. So far, the only change she sees is that a handful of deer she's encountered sport collars showing they've been sterilized. She said she's seen no noticeable dropoff in the number tracking through her and her neighbors' lawns.

"I can look out my front door and see three of them on my neighbor's lawn grazing away," she said.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Shooting 313 deer in Shawnee Mission Park cost the Johnson County Park and Recreation District about $54,000 or $172 per deer, according to park officials.

The biggest expense was just learning how to do it. White Buffalo Inc., a national wildlife management firm, charged the district $28,452 to train area volunteer policeman to shoot the deer. The company also provided advice on the methods and equipment used in the deer culling. The payment also includes travel, lodging and meals for White Buffalo personnel.

The second biggest expense was processing the meat once 313 deer were shot. That cost $19,900.

Harvesters Community Food Network received 11,359 pounds of ground venison. They are currently distributing this meat to programs that feed low-income families in the Kansas City area. So far, 59 agencies have asked for the meat.

An additional 500 pounds was given to the Johnson County Human Services Department for its food pantries.

Park officials wanted to reduce the current deer herd from almost 200 per square mile to 50. However, shooting 313 deer reduced the herd to an estimated 73 per square mile and bow hunters have been called in to finish the job.

No other expenses are anticipated as the process enters the bow hunting phase. The bow hunters will be allowed to keep the deer they kill.

Randy Knight, a park spokesman, said the money to pay for the deer harvest comes from the district’s general fund budget, which is supported by county tax dollars.

The district budgeted $50,000 in an account aimed at controlling invasive species. Another $50,000 has been budgeted for next year.

Park officials have said they will consider non-lethal options for future deer control but have not approved a plan.

KansasCity.com37°F

44°/35°

Forecast

Weather Alert
KC Star: Subscribe | Manage Account | Digital E-Star | Star Advantage | Star in Education

Welcome Guest Login | Register Logout | Member Center HOME
ColumnistsBlogsObituaries Weather Local Traffic Featured InkMom2MomKC PetsInfo CentralVarsity Zone Community Faces ForumsAbout The Star Contact UsPast ArticlesStar in EducationKansas City StoreReaders' Representative Front PagesStar AwardsCode of EthicsStar ToursStar SpeakersStar QuiltsHemingway VideoPost a PhotoNEWS
Columnists
C.W. Gusewelle Mike Hendricks Steve Penn Steve Kraske Mary Sanchez Debra Skodack Blogs
Crime Scene KCPrime Buzz International Buzz Breaking News Nation & World Politics Lotteries Neighborhoods Info Central News Projects More
Press Release Central Elections Weird News SPORTS
Columnists Jason Whitlock Joe Posnanski Blair Kerkhoff Candace Buckner Blogs Red Zone Upon Further Review Campus Corner Ball Star Varsity Zone Chiefs Royals Wizards KU K-State MU High Schools StatsOutdoorsMore Pro Mavericks T-Bones Motorsports Golf TennisNFL MLB NBA NHL More Amateur UMKC Big 12 Colleges Olympics BUSINESS
Columnists Diane Stafford Steve Rosen Joyce Smith Kevin Collison Mark Davis Randolph Heaster Keith Chrostowski Blogs Sprint Connection Dollars & Sense AnnouncementsDollars & Sense Consumer News Emerging Business Technology Workplace Star 50 Stocks CalendarFYI/LIVING
Columnists Cindy Hoedel Jill Wendholt Silva Ann Spivak Jenee Osterheldt Blogs Mom2MomKC PetsKC Gardens Faith Matters Food House & Home Faith Star Magazine Travel SkiingHealth Celebrations Dear Abby ENTERTAINMENT
Columnists Robert W. Butler Robert Trussell Alice Thorson Joe Klopus Aaron Barnhart Timothy Finn Blogs Back to Rockville TV Barn Ink Horoscopes Comics Games Preview Extra Movies Music Performing Arts Calendar Star TVMore Books Restaurants Visual Arts OPINION
Columnists Yael T. Abouhalkah Miriam Pepper Lewis W. Diuguid E. Thomas McClanahan Barbara Shelly Lee JudgeBlogs Midwest Voices Unfettered Letters Ad Astrum Editorials Letters to the Editor JOBS
Create an AdPost ResumeJob SearchJobstartTop JobsCareer VideoCARS
Tom StrongmanSell A CarUsed Car SpecialsNew Car SpecialsCars.comREAL ESTATE
Sell A HomeHomeFinderRENTALS
Create an Adapartments.comCLASSIFIEDS
PetsFind an AdCreate an AdSign in to ClassifiedsSHOPPING
Newspaper AdsShop The StarSpecial SectionsGetLocalEXTRAS
GetLocalVisitor's Guide Place a Classified Ad Maps/Directions Forums Commercial Printing Advertise with Us Star AdvantagePosted on Tue, Dec. 22, 2009 08:55 AM
Buzz Up Share Email
Print
Comment (28)
Recommend (0)Shawnee Mission deer culling cost $54,000, park officials say
By JIM SULLINGER
The Kansas City

File photo by RICH SUGG | The Star
Deer at Shawnee Mission ParkMore people treated at hospital after suicide by cyanide in Sugar Creek KC shifts trash and drop-off rules over holidays Victim identified i Shooting 313 deer in Shawnee Mission Park cost the Johnson County Park and Recreation District about $54,000 or $172 per deer, according to park officials.

The biggest expense was just learning how to do it. White Buffalo Inc., a national wildlife management firm, charged the district $28,452 to train area volunteer policeman to shoot the deer. The company also provided advice on the methods and equipment used in the deer culling. The payment also includes travel, lodging and meals for White Buffalo personnel.

The second biggest expense was processing the meat once 313 deer were shot. That cost $19,900.

Harvesters Community Food Network received 11,359 pounds of ground venison. They are currently distributing this meat to programs that feed low-income families in the Kansas City area. So far, 59 agencies have asked for the meat.

An additional 500 pounds was given to the Johnson County Human Services Department for its food pantries.

Park officials wanted to reduce the current deer herd from almost 200 per square mile to 50. However, shooting 313 deer reduced the herd to an estimated 73 per square mile and bow hunters have been called in to finish the job.

No other expenses are anticipated as the process enters the bow hunting phase. The bow hunters will be allowed to keep the deer they kill.

Randy Knight, a park spokesman, said the money to pay for the deer harvest comes from the district’s general fund budget, which is supported by county tax dollars.

The district budgeted $50,000 in an account aimed at controlling invasive species. Another $50,000 has been budgeted for next year.

Park officials have said they will consider non-lethal options for future deer control but have not approved a plan.

To reach Jim Sullinger, call 816-234-7701 or send e-mail to [email protected].

Posted on Tue, Dec. 22, 2009 08:55 AM
Buzz Up Share Email
Print
Comment (0) Report comment as: (required) X Obscenity/vulgarity Hate speech Personal attack Advertising/Spam Copyright/Plagiarism Other Remarks: (optional)
Join the discussion
Share your observations and experiences about news. Lively, open, civil debate is the goal. Please refrain from personal attacks or comments that are racist, vulgar or otherwise inappropriate. If you see an inappropriate comment, please click the "Report as abuse" link.

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register

Comments: 28 Showing: Oldest first Newest first Most-recommended first Least-recommended first

letch77 wrote on 12/22/2009 9:57:20 AM:
It seems pretty obvious where the Star stands on this subject...look at the picture. It's almost like they're trying to invoke the "how could anyone kill such an adorable and innocent little Bambi like the ones in the picture" way of thinking. Does anyone know for certain if the cull was limited to adult deer? I'm guessing it was...

KU - BudRog couldn't do it! Seriously, you must be stupid beyond reason. What does KU have to do with the deer cull in SMP?

Recommend (4) Report abuse

bassbone wrote on 12/22/2009 9:50:50 AM:
Unbelievable. Shouldn't have "cost" the park a dime. The park district could have easily made that much money. Almost $30k to a consultant is the real outrage.

Recommend (2) Report abuse

opmom wrote on 12/22/2009 9:40:03 AM:
I know plenty of deer hunters who don't need training!

Recommend (5) Report abuse

jeeks99 wrote on 12/22/2009 9:30:46 AM:
BudRog - You don't know what you're talking about. SM Park is surrounded by neighborhoods. Letting Joe SixPack go in there after being sold a permit was not an option.

This cull was done at night while the park was closed. The officers used night-vision apparatus and silencers.

I talked with one of the people involved in the shoot and it was a pretty complex setup, not just someone showing up with a gun and a camo outfit.

Recommend (6) Report abuse

Mark7 wrote on 12/22/2009 9:23:53 AM:
Laughable. They could have gotten any number of volunteers who already know how to shoot deer.

Recommend (7) Report abuse

BudRog wrote on 12/22/2009 9:23:31 AM:
If I were a taxpayer in Shawnee Mission I would be po'd beyond reason! A managed hunt at Fleming Park, or in Burr Oaks in MO would net the MDC over $50,000 in permit sales and accomplish the same goals!

KU so easy a cave man can do it!

Recommend (4) Report abuse

jeeks99 wrote on 12/22/2009 9:22:40 AM:
Nearly 12,000 lbs. of meat donated to the needy for $54,000. Cheap, considering it helps to solve a huge deer problem and cost about $4.50/lb. I'm pretty sure you can't go buy venison for that.

Recommend (1) Report abuse

unklbrad wrote on 12/22/2009 9:03:48 AM:
They could have bought a Lexus with that kind of money. We are talking JoCo here.

Recommend (0) Report abuse
More comments on this story: 123
@[email protected] wrote on @[email protected]: @[email protected]
@[email protected] @[email protected]

Web Search powered by YAHOO! SEARCH KansasCity.com Archives Historic Archives Web

View More

CONNECT WITH OTHER KC MOMS
Get the inside scoop on the best toys and local activities for you and your kids…

Most ReadChiefs receiving corps isn’t catching on
Possible shootout leaves one dead
Royals sign outfielder Anderson
Two south Kansas City banks hit
Touchy proposal preceded firing of osteopathic medical school’s president
Jayhawks dominate California, 84-69
Car wash owner hires ex-convicts when others won’t
No. 1 Kansas defeats Cal 84-69, wins 49th straight home game
Sex abuse charges dropped against southwest Missouri pastor
Why should the Chiefs bring Haley back?
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About our ads | Copyright
HOME
Columnists
Blogs
Obituaries
Weather
Local Traffic
Video
About The Star
Contact Us
NEWS
Breaking News
Politics
Lotteries
Neighborhoods
Info Central
News Projects
Nation
World
SPORTS
Chiefs
Royals
KU
K-State
MU
High Schools
BUSINESS
MoneyWise
Consumer News
Emerging Business
Technology
Workplace
Star 50
Stocks
Calendar
FYI/LIVING
Food
House & Home
Faith
Indulge
Star Magazine
Travel
Health
Occasions
Dear Abby
ENTERTAINMENT
Ink
Horoscopes
Comics & Games
Preview Extra
Movies
Music
Performing Arts
Calendar
OPINION
Editorials
Lee Judge
Letters to the Editor
PROMO
Jobs
Cars
Real Estate
Rentals
Classifieds
Shopping

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Funny thing thing is the city could have done a managed hunt and made money off the deer, but the anti's would have let out a blood curdling scream for the poor deer:shrug:

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,452 Posts
Just participated in one of these hunts...archers are a very effective way to control the numbers however I believe a requirement to shoot a doe first before being issued a buck tag would be good.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My sister lives in IN, they run all over her back yard, and she gives me a hard time about hunting them. I tell her wait until you hit one with your girls in the vehicle, and you`ll have a different attitude. She says " I see 30 of them next to the road every time I go anywhere, and you just have to know how to watch for them". Okay, I hope she doesn`t hit one, and knowing her, her attitude won`t change if/when she does. She`s not completely anti, she just thinks deer are beautiful animals. Well, so do I, but not when they are splattered on the roadside.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
In Indiana we hunt almost all of our state parks with 2-2day hunts and have for years. The very first one was met with the same kind of baloney as you guys are seeing now its just another day for everyone and none of the antis even pay attention to it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hunting whether bow or gun should be the ONLY option, this sterilization/sharpshooting crap is just that, crap! There's a lot better things to spend tax money on than this.

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
I agree DWD. And if I'm not mistaken, the sterilization only lasts one year and needs to be done every year at quite an expense.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
theres no way on this earth they can say they thinned the heard ..they are sayin that just to keep the stupid rich folks that live over there happy thats all.... both sides thinkin that this was a great idea are dumb stupid idiots.... what a waste of taxpayers money right there..

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,220 Posts
[rquote=1521560&tid=106040&author=ducks1]theres no way on this earth they can say they thinned the heard ..they are sayin that just to keep the stupid rich folks that live over there happy thats all.... both sides thinkin that this was a great idea are dumb stupid idiots.... what a waste of taxpayers money right there.. [/rquote]
Amen brother.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
if you want to stop the heard then tell them stupid idots in town country to stop feeding them..
this how they think .. oh lets feed them in our back yards and take pics of them .. then we can take pics of them when we total our vehicles. then cry and whine about it to the council and get some crap job of the sharp shooters to kill good deer and steralize them .. wheres elliot davis on this deal here... THOSE FOLKS ARE TO RICH FOR THEIR OWN MINDS... IDIOTS I TELL YA...

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
[rquote=1521570&tid=106040&author=macon county boy]thats just plain stupid let the hunters thin em out and sell us tags or permits then youll make money instead of spending 150000 to move 100 deer[/rquote]
why would they do that ??? jsut like the gooberment wasteful spending who cares... they could even do a deal where if you by a antlered tag you get a doe tag for free,but you have to donate one of the deers you kill to share the harvest<but nope let gommer pile take cae of it and they will screw us everytime...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.