Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the season started off great. The Friday of opening week my oldest had a break from college and was wanting to hit the woods together. We hunted with a friend on a new property and right off the bat had a strutter come in to 20 yards, but the area he approached from was so thick that a shot wasn't possible and he left unscathed. More efforts in that area turned up empty to we returned to the home farm. We snuck up the back side of our favorite ridge and before we hit the crest I hit my slate and a bird hammered back less than 100 yards out. We got set up, I hit the slate again and he hammered again and had already cut the distance. We waited quietly with me looking right over my son's shoulder then I finally saw a head peak out to the left of his barrel. I told him to be still that the bird was moving to the left. The bird finally cleared the crest at 30 yards but we couldn't move. As fate would have it, he continued his path and went behind a big boulder. Brendan swung into position and as soon as he cleared the boulder he let him have it! Made another great shot and killed his best bird to date. 23.6 pounds, 9 1/4" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.

After that things turned sour for me! Multiple attempts on multiple farms and the birds were either vacant or on neighbors" properties unwilling to budge. I never even came close. Fast forward to the last day. I hunted another brand new property, no clue if there was even a turkey in the county. Got there late due to a cell phone alarm malfunction and was walking out the ridge in the center of the property and heard a bird gobbling to the west. Got a good location on him and he seemed to be stationary. Made a big move back around some super thick brush and repositioned close to where I thought he should be. Called, nothing, moved a little closer, called, nothing. Moved a little closer, called, nothing, called louder, nothing, really sent out the volume and he finally hammered back...right at the spot where I was originally. We had both switched locations. I moved back around to the original ridge and called and he gobbled close. Sat down and got ready. Moments later I see a hen coming through the brush crossing from my right to left, perfect. She crossed the old roadbed 25 yards in front of me. I looked down the road and see him in full strut with his flame red head and turned on my dot scope. I figured he was going to keep coming up the road to where she was but instead he turned off the road and got into the thick stuff. The kept moving west and she was now out of sight over the side of the ridge. At 30 yards I had a small opening and he stopped in it. I thought I had a clear shot and BOOM he jumped up and away he flew...I sawed off a sapling between us and he escaped unharmed. After a few profanities and thoughts of turning the gun on myself, I debated what to do next. It was only 9:45 so I decided to stick it out and see what happens. At 11:45 a bird gobbled out the same finger, on the neighbor's place. I moved to the end of the finger where there is a field that drops down into a drainage and then rises back up on the other side. I called and he cut me off. Waited a minute and called again and he was already down at the drainage. Moments later I saw him cross the drainage and then disappear due to the hill between us. A few moments later I look to my left and see the top of a fan, then a big red head and he slowly closed the distance. Finally at 20 yards and with just an hour in the season, I settled my green dot on his head and the 4 shot did the rest. 20 pounds, 9.5" beard and 1" spurs.

This was the toughest season I have experienced in quite some time, but I was fortunate to be successful in the dying moments of the season. I was even more fortunate to spend some time in the woods with my son AND my Dad. That right there is what truly made the season a success!
Camouflage Plant Hunting Military camouflage Plant community
Plant Leg Human body Organism Terrestrial plant
Military camouflage Plant Reptile Phasianidae Camouflage
Hunting Hat Bird Wild turkey Plant

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Glad ya got rewarded for sticking it out :cheers:

Story was starting to remind me of a season years ago, took my cousin out the first day, we were done by 830, hunted hard till the last weekend didn't kill a bird, took him again he was done by 630. They can sure humble a man one day, and come in on a string the next.

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work Russ! Ditch those 4s!
Nah, never had an issue before. With my dot scope I have my pattern tuned REALLY well out to 40 yards! I just boogered up the first shot because I got impatient.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Congrats. Birds were earned for many this year. :cheers:

Reactions: RchurE

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome season, wish I still had the opportunity to hunt with my dad again
I don't know about all that Rafe!

Rutstrut, I am extremely fortunate to still have that option and try to take advantage any chance I get.

Thanks Joe! Was definitely an interesting season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.