Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what your guys total arrow weight is. Im shooting an Easton Axis FMJ at 11.3 gpi 28 inch arrow with 100 grain tip so i''m going in at around 416 grains. Dont know if that seems high or what so want to see what you guys are working with. Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My FMJs that I shoot through my Maxxis are 506; The FMJs that I shoot through my parker are 469. Mine are pretty dang heavy. They're not the fastest in the world but I'm getting 76 pounds of energy from the Maxxis and 80.5 pound of energy from my Parker.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Love heavy arrahs!!! Might be a little slower, but your bow will be quieter!!! Long as they fly well, you're good to go!!!:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I like my Axis FMJs so far just was a little conserned when I sighted them in I had to move my pins more than I thought. They fly great and I'm sure they will hit hard.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Dont you have to add the weight of the insert, nock, and fletching? I think that adds somthing like 20-30 grains...Used a calculator somewhere for it...

My Easton 340 epics 29" 100 grain come in right around 425 with everything included.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My CX Maxima 250's, 29", 100 gr. point are weighing 362 grains. And before anybody says they are too light, I'm only shooting 60#.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
Maxima 250's with 75 grain tip weigh 315. Bow is drawing 63 pounds and doing 331 fps. How's that for SMOKIN!:cheers:

BTh

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
just because you shoot a heavier arrow doesnt mean you have more KE. In hunting you have to take the game you are pursuing into consideration when looking at KE. There will be a optimum level of KE anything over that will be overkill and anything under that will be risky and possibly unethical.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
[rquote=1560424&tid=108483&author=JNH]just because you shoot a heavier arrow doesnt mean you have more KE. In hunting you have to take the game you are pursuing into consideration when looking at KE. There will be a optimum level of KE anything over that will be overkill and anything under that will be risky and possibly unethical. [/rquote]

No Such Thing as Too Much KE :02:

·
Registered
567 Posts
[rquote=1559543&tid=108483&author=BowtechAdm]Just curious as to what your guys total arrow weight is. Im shooting an Easton Axis FMJ at 11.3 gpi 28 inch arrow with 100 grain tip so i''m going in at around 416 grains. Dont know if that seems high or what so want to see what you guys are working with. Thanks[/rquote]

I think your arrows weigh is more than that. Your forgetting to add something in there. I had the same arrows cut just a half inch longer than yours and they weighed almost 470.
Anyway, my current arrows are cx maxmias weighing 385gr, they blow thru deer and are usually stuck in the ground a good 4-5", thats good enough for me:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
[rquote=1560534&tid=108483&author=MellerAM][rquote=1560424&tid=108483&author=JNH]just because you shoot a heavier arrow doesnt mean you have more KE. In hunting you have to take the game you are pursuing into consideration when looking at KE. There will be a optimum level of KE anything over that will be overkill and anything under that will be risky and possibly unethical. [/rquote]

No Such Thing as Too Much KE :02:[/rquote]

Too much and optimum level are to different things. I think these days you can shoot light weight arrows with lighter poundage than in the past and get more than enough KE to harvest game. Thats just my take on things. Its kinda like shooting a 300 ultra mag for whitetails, they perform well but a .243 will do the same thing and be much more pleasent to shoot. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
I shoot 28" Goldtip XT Hunters with a 100gr head and 3 blazer vanes. My total arrow weight is about 380 if I remember right. These are being shot out of a Mathews Drenalin set at 28" draw and 68 pounds with 1.75" mechanicals. It has no trouble zipping through the deer even with that big nasty mechanical.

·
Registered
624 Posts
:thinking:shoot a light arrow and a heavy arrow that will match up on ke...see which one penetrates the most...should be the same if both have the same ke...you might be surprised...oh... I tend to go a little heavy than light for hunting:02:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.