Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
70,871 Posts
10 through 6 are all NOT in my personal listing of the best turk guns but my newest shotgun is probably 15 years old and most will kill turks just as dead and the next one.

Waiting for the top 5....:popcorn:....Best be my two favorites in there....870 Remy and model 12 Winny.

· Registered
21,445 Posts
A .410 cracking the top 50 turkey guns would be a huge freaking stretch. One making the top five is ludicrous and irresponsible. To print that you can really reach out there and touch them with a .410 is bull sheet propaganda. If you pay us the dollars, we will list your camo gun and call it one of the best.
:bs::banging::fight::bsflag::banghead:

· Banned
7,215 Posts
A .410 cracking the top 50 turkey guns would be a huge freaking stretch. One making the top five is ludicrous and irresponsible. To print that you can really reach out there and touch them with a .410 is bull sheet propaganda. If you pay us the dollars, we will list your camo gun and call it one of the best.
:bs::banging::fight::bsflag::banghead:
Actually there's been a big push lately towards 410 for turkey hunting. The TSS shells are responsible. Remember that all shotguns have the same amount of "killing power" and super dense and long shot strings are only important for moving targets. Lotta guys like em cause they're light and don't kick. Seen quite a few Stevens SxS getting the camo and red dot treatment lately. That being said, I hunt with 3.5" magnum 12ga loads, and have rolled a few at 60+yds with a body shot while trying to run away, no different than a big ole honker.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Dead bird with #9 shot.....must have been a quail.
It's not steel shot, it's tungsten heavy loads. And if it will kill a quail, why would it have any problems killing a turkey head? You aren't shooting the whole bird. It normally isn't flying. Your target is about the same size, shape, and construction as a quail/dove. I've killed a bunch of doves at 60yds, haven't you?

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Like I said, I’m a stubborn guy, plus I’m pretty much the manliest man to ever roam the turkey woods. I carry a 12ga 3.5” stuffed full of #6’s, and don’t hesitate to shoot flying and running birds. I should prolly be carrying a 10ga. But the days of needing a cannon to kill a bird are fading quickly. Soon, the new fad in turkey hunting will be 410 pistols.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I'm pretty much the manliest man to ever roam the turkey woods. . I should prolly be carrying a 10ga. But the days of needing a cannon to kill a bird are fading quickly. Soon, the new fad in turkey hunting will be 410 pistols.
We should probably be wearing gum boots to read this. :D

Reactions: Mailman

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Yes I have...one pellet in the head. As for turkey...kilt a 24 lb bird at 75 yards with one pellet in the heart with a 12 ga 2 3/4 in old school lead #4 shot also but that was a fluke and wasn't a planned shot for killing the bird.
So, you were probably not shooting full choke on that dove, and no one is recommending 75yd shots on turkeys. But you see my point, they aren't hard to kill. Every real bird hunter has a few stories about one pellet birds. If you have a gun that will consistently put a dozen pellets into the head/neck, you're good. No need for the extra oz of pellets that miss the head completely.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.