Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Too hot, too early, full moon.....

3749 Views 51 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Deeraholic
I've heard and read a lot of 'reasons' to not hunt the opener and I won't lie... I slept in yesterday morning. Pete and I had discussed hunting a little holey hole property we have permission to 'treat like we own'. We've done some TSI and carved in a nice little clover plot and this little spot has had 4 mature deer all over it all hours of the day and more day walking than any other piece of ground we hunt. Pete checked the foodplot cam Saturday and most of the buck deer dispersed in the last 5-7 days between acorns dropping and velvet coming off, that's not a shocker. Pete hunts the am, sees a few deer and gets eyes on that buck deer and watches him browse around for 15 minutes under the stand 'someone' should have been in. :boohoo:
Does't take long for him to draw up the plan and basically tells me I'm gonna sit where I should have been in the morning. We roll out of the driveway with the dash thermometer reads 100 freaking degrees. Bump a deer on the way in, part ways and get settled in. I bump a doe and mini bedded in a creek bottom as I set off on the platform of the stand.... Pete has to cut a dead fall that was blocking his #1 shooting lane that sounded like an elephant crashing through the woods. Great start to the hunt and dripping with sweat.....
An early nubber makes an appearance and I watched 5 gobblers peck around for quite awhile.
Fast forward to about 6:40 and as I'm staring at the fence crossing deer use, I see antler tips. I recognize the deer instantly, grab the bow and get ready. At 20 something yards he stops, I draw... 1/4'ing at me hard I wait and think he's gonna turn broadside and head south to the clover plot Pete is hunting over. Wrong. Buck deer keeps coming east and right at me. He stops at 7 yards, I'm holding, holding and holding trying to pick a spot through the front cover around the stand. Lean forward and about on my tip toes I make out about a baseball size hole and send it. I hear lung pop on impact, no jump, no kick... very little reaction and he takes 3-4 strides, stops and stands there. I can see the entry centered up on the entry side lung and see some blood drip from the exit. Done deal I think. Wait awhile and we discussed the shot, hit etc decide to wait 30 minutes. Less than 30 minutes pass and a neighbor starts blazing around on a side by, I look towards the noise and low and behold antler tips rise up out of the bruch... #$%^ he's still alive and gets on his feet. He struggled to get up and definitely not doing well.... but proceeds to walk out of sight. By then my heard and stomach are all over the map, I know where the arrow went and knew he was basically fooked but seeing them get up and walk out of sight is tough. Wait a bit more, slip down to inspect arrow & it says what I thought it would. Lung bubbles and lotsa liver blood.... we'd already planned to wait a bit, so we planned to wait a bit more. Head to the truck for hydration and headed back in about 2 hours after the shot. I knew exactly where I watched him walk out of sight and think we can start there, but we opt to do it right and start at the POI. Very little blood, some good blood and some 4-8 yards stretches of nothing. Sloooooow going in the heat, humidity, skeeters and thick as hell cover.... we cover maybe 60 yards in about 2'ish hours. We get to the last spot I saw him and that's the end of the line... at least with flashlights in the dark. We burn over an hour looking that 10 square foot area and nothing. I'm getting frustrated but having someone there helps keep your sh*t together and stay grounded, we sweep around hoping to find the next bread crumb and we don't find it. The "whaddya do now" convo is had and we decide it's hard target search time as in that heat there's no way we were leaving him overnight. Long story short, he went 40-45 yards from last blood before he tipped over.
We'd had pics of him for 3+ years and his rack never changed, just got bigger with age. I'm gonna guesstimate him at least 5, old enough for me to end the curse of the three year olds I've been fighting for a few years. Crude tape measurement at 1:45am had the spike at 16".

Deer hunting Hunting Vertebrate Military camouflage Marines
Plant Grass Fawn Shorts Recreation
Plant Camouflage Military camouflage Tripod Elk
Plant Deer Natural environment Mammal Grass
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Nice!!
Use that spike to flatten the neighbors side by side tire!
Reactions: 5
Very cool deer. Congrats on a first day kill
Reactions: 2
Sweet!i can’t believe how many were hunting on this heat. Well done.
Reactions: 1
I want one like that, missed one last year with a rifle. I think they are cool as heck :cheers:
that would make one hell of a knapping club
Cool deer! I love hunting early season! You can't kill 'em sitting in the house..
Hats off to you to do what I wouldn't have done in that heat. Congrats!
Congrats Greg, thats a good deer. :tup:
Nice one greg!
Cool buck gregger. Gonna be a long rest of the season.
Congrats!!
Well done Greg, you guys have worked hard on making your hunting areas destinations for big deer to visit!!!!

the warm temps aren't great, but not a factor until after you shoot one!
Congrats! That truck bed pic needs framed fo sho!
Very cool buck and awesome looking slick cape! Congrats!
Nah, he'll be so busy telling the rest of us how he manned up and beat the heat while the rest of us wussed out waiting for cooler weather. Probably carry him through to early November. :D

Or, he'll just help Pete, some youngsters, or someone else gig a nice one. :D
Nice work! All I got last night was soaking wet with sweat!
Heck yeah. That's going to make a cool *** euro.
Or, he'll just help Pete, some youngsters, or someone else gig a nice one. :D
Bingo.
I dunno, months and months of the grind and passing three year olds makes for a longer season(s).
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.