Tolls and increased fees

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Outdoorsfool, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    What's your opinion on the idea of Missouri using tolls for the purposes of building and maintaing roads and bridges? I thought fuel taxes (that was recently voted to all go to MoDOT) and various other taxes went towards roads and such. Now they're talking about putting that new bridge in St. Louis and using tolls to pay for it.

I'm all for nice roads and bridges, but if they are going to go to pay-as-you-go style of roads, shouldn't we be looking for a decrease in some of our taxes? (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.....keep dreaming! :hysterical:) :wave:

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Where exactly in St. Louis would this toll bridge be? didnt hear about it.

3. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Don't remember exact location, but seems like it was going to north of the existing bridges. It's the one they took bids on and they came in WAY over what MoDOT had allocated. So now they are talking about doing a public-private setup like the toll bridge at Lake O.

4. Bowhuntr

Bowhuntr New Member

Jun 25, 2005
    They built one here in the upstate of SC a couple of years ago. At all of the hearings and meetings leading up to it all the majority of the people were against it. That did not mean anything to them.So it was built with bonds taken out by the ones building it.
    Well after several years it is still losing money every year year and now that the bonds are due the people who built it are asking the state to help bale them out.
    This thing is a joke, what it boiled down to was some of the peole who had bought up the land in that area thought building a toll role would help develope it. Why would I pay to drive on a toll road and stop to pay when I can take the interstate and get to the same place in the same amount of time for free?

That is what the idiots who built it could not get in their head!

5. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I lived in New Orleans 9+ years ago. They built a new bridge and said the tolls would only be in place for 3 years to pay for the bridge. At the end of the 3 years, they requested a 1 year extension to add lights and improvements. 11+ years later, and the tolls are still there.

6. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    I like the idea. People should pay for what they use.

7. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Toll roads suck!

I just moved back for the East coast the land of toll roads and it was costing 4 bucks just to cross a 1 mile bridge from Philadelphia to New jersey and the PA turn pike just keeps getting more & more expensive.

From what i understand the toll roads were susposed to only be toll roads untill the Bridge/ road was paid for but the state could not let go of that source of income so now they say they are useing the procedes to improve the roads and bridges but PA has some of the worst roads in the country.

I think toll roads are another way to suck money out of americans!

8. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Woods - I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is, we are paying taxes for services. My point is government is always looking for ways to stick it to the taxpayers just a little bit more. Income taxes, fuel taxes and the various other taxes are out there to fund government and infrastructures, but now they come out and say we're going to build a new bridge and if you use it you're going to pay. Aren't we already paying? :cool:

9. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

The original bridge built in New Orleans, crosses the Mississippi, was paid with toll fees and then the tolls were removed. I don't have a problem paying for what I use, but why should a few pay for allot of the road improvements across the state?

10. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    And an even bigger question is;

Why does the share of revenues returned to MO that MO pays in to the feds CONTINUE to be one of the lowest in the nation?

No, forget I asked that question. The answer would be MODOT. I'd say that's a good reason not to give it back to us.

11. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Supposedly the community bridge across Lake Ozark will be toll free after it's paid off....yeah right, just like the examples noted above, it will never happen. However, I don't mind paying the toll down there too much because it saves a little bit of time and money....it'd cost more in fuel to go around the lake then what the toll costs to go over.

MoDOT sucks....they just got all that $$ from the tax that had been diverted to general revenue and they already got their hands out for more money in the future.:banghead:

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I think they are a load of crap.. Just another way to make the big wigs pockets even bigger

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    People should be PAID 4 bucks to have to go to New Jersey..

14. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    NOPE! That ain't near enough! :fart:

15. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL
    For people in the St, Louis area...have you noticed the lights they have installed before the bridge on the Page extension. They look to me like they are toll lights for which lanes are open...Just speculating.

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I drive it almost daily but never noticed!

I cant see them turning that to a toll road.. but, stranger things have happened.

17. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    You got that right!

Its kind of like paying personal property taxes every year on the same dang thing! you get taxed every year for working hard and missouri whats taxes on it every year!

18. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Well this won't be popular I am sure but Im all in favor of Toll Roads. It gives the state a way to collect money from those who use the road...thats a good thing. Takes that burden off those who don't use it...thats good. It allows them to set tolls based on axels/weights....those two things directly relate to wear and tear on the road so as far as I am concerned I say tax and charge the biggest heaviest trucks a lot more than they do now...( That could set me off on an entire new rant about the trucking lobby/highway safety/I-70 aggrsessive drivers)

Pro toll road here