Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here and plot my deer season, I am again going to butcher my own deer. Last year, I cut out the backstraps and ground the rest. This year, I plan to prepare more roasts and steaks. Ground deer is limited in it's usages. I would like to get two deer, one for steaks etc. and one for ground, but thats getting a little ambitious. I am contemplating buying a grinder from Cabelas.

Whats everyone else planning to do with their kills?

·
5,632 Posts
Plan on butchering mine myself. As much as I can get in steaks and roasts and then grind the rest. Maybe save a hind quarter to smoke.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I always do some ground mixed with pork. Then 3 or 4 types of sausage like Italian, brats, kiabasa etc. The staps and tenderloins I keep whole. Then the large leg musles I debone and keep whole. 2 flat and 1 round muscle in each leg. Then I cold smoke about a dozen at a time, freeze them individually, thaw and finish/prepare as I want later in the year. Probably my favorite way to eat venison. Some of those muscles can also be cut up for chops or recipes if it is not smoked.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
I think lotsa folks are intimidated by the process.. Dont be.

Its easy to do and you get what you shot.. not what somebody else shot.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Originally posted by rat

Oh Rat you mis unstood me. I never can shoot anything:banghead:, I talkin road kills!

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Originally posted by Snowman
Originally posted by rat

Oh Rat you mis unstood me. I never can shoot anything:banghead:, I talkin road kills!
No misunderstanding at all snowman... I know where yer from!

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
never have your deer processed! the best part is butchering your own kill. BBQ the backstraps and steaks the rest go to jerkey.
Wise man indeedy!

·
just a no body
15,607 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
never have your deer processed! the best part is butchering your own kill.
Yep

we dont ground any up , its steak & then stew/chily/stirfry chunks

just make a ****tail ,turn on some music and start cuttn. it aint rocket science and over tim you'll get better & better

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
We do alot of deer each year. For our own we keep the loins whole sometimes or cut them into filets, there are two great muscles in the hams that can be made into great steaks. We grind the rest into burger.
We tenderize some steaks with the commercial tenderizer and others are left whole. The burger is all packaged but is sometime made into various sausages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.