Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 12 foot metal boat for sale I am thinking about for using on the river but the seller states it is from Ohio and they did not require a title on it so there is no title. Does a 12 foot metal boat on a trailer in Missouri have to be titled and if so, how much of a hassle/headache would it be to get it done or would it be too much of a nightmare to mess with?

G

·
Heck.... I'd just apply for a homemade trailer title and tell everyone you converted it to a boat :dancin:t.........:dancin::banana::banana::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No idea bud....... all BS aside. I do know taht some states do not require s title on boats or motors under 12 foot and 15 hp.........

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
BP. As long as it's sitting on the trailer, you need nothing on it! ;)

In all seriousness, it's not that bad of a process if you have a local water patrolman nearby. For that matter a sheriff or deputy or maybe even the HP might be able to do this but I'm not sure about that part.

Your license office will have this little form you can fill out, ax them, they'll know what you are talking about. Then setup your appt with the water patrol. The WP will look the boat over, prolly get on his horn to see that the serial number doesn't indicate that it's stolen, put his John Henry on the little paper you got from the license office then you are on your way.

Having said that.......wiff a 12 foot boat, I'm guessin you ain't ever gonna be where a water patrol would hang out. I'd run it as is. :D

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
BP. As long as it's sitting on the trailer, you need nothing on it! ;)

In all seriousness, it's not that bad of a process if you have a local water patrolman nearby. For that matter a sheriff or deputy or maybe even the HP might be able to do this but I'm not sure about that part.

Your license office will have this little form you can fill out, ax them, they'll know what you are talking about. Then setup your appt with the water patrol. The WP will look the boat over, prolly get on his horn to see that the serial number doesn't indicate that it's stolen, put his John Henry on the little paper you got from the license office then you are on your way.

Having said that.......wiff a 12 foot boat, I'm guessin you ain't ever gonna be where a water patrol would hang out. I'd run it as is. :D
I think DSG has this covered, BP. If you have any other questions, let me know. I work for DOR in the motor vehicle bureau.

P.S. I would not condone operating the boat without the necessary license and registration which require titling. (This was my official disclaimer so DOR doesn't fire me!)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of boats in Mo. There are the rules, and then there is reality.

First off, if it is not self powered; paddles, it has to be registered and display the numbers properly. A trolling motor does not have to be registered, but it does not fit the self powered requirement, so the boat has to be. If you have a battery to run the motor, you have to have a fire bottle because a battery is a flammable liquid according to the WP. That is the simple plain part of the equation. From there on it gets strange.

Yes, there is a form to register a boat. When you ask your liscence office about it, they will laugh at you, even tho Jeff City tells you it exists. If you do get the form from the liscence office, the WP will tell you they don't know what you are talking about when you go see them. If by chance you get past them and go back to the liscence office, they will require tax records since the boat was new or things stop there.

We just went thru this on two boats. One was a plastic 10 foot pond or lake boat. In the end, I sent it out of state and had it registered there. Once I had paper from the other state, then things were simple. The second one was crazy. My fathers boss died of cancer. He gave the boat stored in the barn at the farm to my dad. According to the law, when he died, his son had 1 year to change everything over. They did not get the boat transfered during that time period. Dad finally went to get the boat titled in his name and they said no. After the year is over, no one can register that boat but the dead man. They actually said that digging him up and getting him to sign the papers was the only way it could be done. After two trips to Jeff City, several to the water patrol, several to the liscence office, and hours on the phone, a congressman got us a title somehow. It took about 18 months before the boat was legal so it could be used.

I have a little plastic boat out in the yard that has a fire bottle and lights so it is legal to use a trolling motor on it.

My neighbor just gave a 18 foot inboard outboard V8 former water patrol boat away. The title was messed up, and I would not take it for free because of that. Neither would my dad or anyone else that has ever gone thru it around here.

Good luck!

·
5,632 Posts
runner, keep in mind that the license offices are independent contractors and NOT state employees. Just thought I'd throw that in.

What license office is giving you so much trouble?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by runner
No argument. We went to the Arnold office, the Festus office, Jeff City, and one in St. Louis County near where Dad works. The WP we used was at Winters Park.
NO wonder! You only went to offices ran by "city folk." Next time try one out in the country. :bangin:

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.