Tired of gun season **nothing to do with the deer or gun hunters**

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Z-BOYS DAD, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    reasons why

1. Had a guy put a blind up on the opposite side of the field as my stand. He is about 300 yds strait across a flat bean field.:stickfight::stickfight::stickfight: just got of the phone with a guy that told me this guy was shooting up a storm and wandering around my stand.

2. I lost my tags so I went to get replacements, while there the guy in front of me was complaining to his wife about having to take his 11 year old. He did not want to waste his time.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

3. Two men that I have a lot of respect for did things this morning that are extremely wrong. We will just leave it at that.

It has only been a day and a half. They are only deer. Come on people cant we just fallow the rules and use common courtesy.

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I think they ought to close firearms season all together :D:stirpot::stirpot:

3. stlwolf

stlwolf New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Warren County
    [rquote=1895467&tid=132067&author=MoBowman]I think they ought to close firearms season all together :D:stirpot::stirpot:[/rquote]

Ten years ago...I would have have fought that....but I would be all for it now for alot of the same reasons.

4. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

"**nothing to do with the deer or gun hunters**"

You know, all of those are about gun hunters. :scared:

5. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I hear ya, and don't disagree.
    My rifle is in the safe, gonna stay there.

People go stupid and do things they normally wouldn't do for what?
    An animal that is decent "not the best" table fare. Throw in family that
    try to use it as a tool,,, crazy.

I love hunting and deer are on the list, rifle season used to be a blast.
    No more, now it's some insane nonsense.

Sticking with the bow in the fall, chasing cats all summer.:cheers:

6. FlightCancelled

FlightCancelled New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    [rquote=1895583&tid=132067&author=GoGop]"**nothing to do with the deer or gun hunters**"

You know, all of those are about gun hunters. :scared:[/rquote]

I think he is using a blanket staement to underline the blatant disrespect that people have to one another 10 years ago people hunted to have fun, spend time with family, provide food for the freezer.

now since deer hunting has bee commercialized soooo much everybody thinks that theyre going to "pay the farm off" with that one buck

IMHO people have lost sight of things. i wish it would go back to the way it was.

7. RCFire328

RCFire328 New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Rolla
    Those are reasons I don't gun hunt anymore. There are just too many people that pick up a rifle once a year and have no idea what they are doing. I get four months with a bow, plenty of time to get my freezer full

8. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    [rquote=1895583&tid=132067&author=GoGop]"**nothing to do with the deer or gun hunters**"

You know, all of those are about gun hunters. :scared:[/rquote]

one of those guys is a bow hunter as well but when he gets that gun in his hands he loses his head.

Dont get me wrong I gun hunt and like to do it as well as bow hunt but gun hunting has just lost it's "family togetherness" that it had when I was a kid. I am getting ready to join the get rid of gun hunting side.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    for some reason, the excitement just isnt there anymore when i have a gun in my hand. sure I like to get a deer here and there, but there not much of an adrenaline rush like bow hunting (even though i suck at it)

10. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I can see your frustration and I feel your pain. But I spent the weekend hunting with my eight year old and built memories that will be there forever. The first morning we had gotten up extra early and went to Ben Branch CA. what a freaking mess. We set in our bowhunting spot and had 3 different people come in and set before light. I shined my light to let them know that we were there and they shined back but did not move. After the sun came up there they were all three groups within 75 yards. At ten we decided to leave and one of the hunters followed us out and started to give me and my son a hard time.
    He drove in from St. louis and this was the only weekend and we stole his spot (Which we have not seen him before and we have bowhunted every weekend). I explained to my son that some peoples brains have shrunk and gone bad. We went to some private ground that belongs to the inlaws and my son shot and missed but has not given up hope. This weekend was fun and we need to take the time to correct bad behavior, If I see people breaking laws or just outright being stupid I will do everything I can to correct it. I always thought all I needed to do is set a good example for kids, but it seems that some adults need realigned.
    Done

11. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    amatuer season (which I partake in) only has 9 days left then ANOTHER 12 days of antlerless to fill any tags:mad2::mad2::mad2:

12. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    You know...I probably should just zip my lip, but...I just hunted HARD all weekend, and didn't even see a deer.

Geez...I thought gun season was EASY?! :bull:

It's difficult at best for me to even get out there to hunt, so I consider hunting with a gun my best chance at evening the playing field. Have YOU ever had to hunt from a wheelchair, or with a disability (on the ground, no less)?!

I hope you never do...just sayin'.

I've hunted the bow season with a crossbow & compound bow, for years - so far, I've tagged ONE doe. If it wasn't for gun season, I doubt I'd even know what venison tastes like...

I get SO sick & tired of hearing how "easy" gun season is - push-button season, bunch of amateurs - and how gun season should be done away with. :blah:

THANKS, GUYS! :mad2:

Don't get me wrong...I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about slob hunters...but QUIT lumping all gun hunters together. It gets OLD...

13. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
  14. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Get rid of gun hunting? You don't have to go. :wave:

15. semo549

semo549 New Member

Talk about irritating, I've hunted hard for the last month and a half. A guy in my party over the weekend spends zero time in the woods except for gun season. He was hammered drunk Friday, wakes up saturday still hammered, sits in the woods for 40 minutes then goes to his truck and sleeps b/c he was to hungover. Doesn't hunt the afternoon or evening just continues to drink beer. Does the same thing Saturday night however Sunday morning instead of sitting in the woods he drives his truck out to a field edge and sat inside of it. After and hour a respectable 10pt walks out, he jumps out of the car and shoots it. Where did the deer run off and die to yo ask? to the gravel road at the enterance of his field where he pulled in at. He didn't even half to drag him 3 feet to get it to the truck. I heard about all this and was legitimately Ticked off... That's what "Deer Camp" is all about in his eyes:mad2:

I'm starting to think I need to stop hunting so hard and take the laissez faire approach to this hunting thing. On the lighter side my girlfriend shot her first deer Friday evening.

16. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    [rquote=1895986&tid=132067&author=Chairman]You know...I probably should just zip my lip, but...I just hunted HARD all weekend, and didn't even see a deer.

It's difficult at best for me to even get out there to hunt, so I consider hunting with a gun my best chance at evening the playing field. Have YOU ever had to hunt from a wheelchair, or with a disability (on the ground, no less)?!

I've hunted the bow season with a crossbow & compound bow, for years - so far, I've tagged ONE doe. If it wasn't for gun season, I doubt I'd even know what venison tastes like...

I get SO sick & tired of hearing how "easy" gun season is - push-button season, bunch of amateurs - and how gun season should be done away with. :blah:

Don't get me wrong...I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about slob hunters...but QUIT lumping all gun hunters together. It gets OLD...[/rquote]

I apologize I guess I was not thinking when I said do away with gun season. If it was not for gun season there are many kids, elderly adults, and disabled people that would not get to hunt and that is not what I would want in any way shape or form. I am just frustrated right now. I would never want any ones hunting privileges taken from them do to physical limitations.

Chairman and GoGop I meant no disrespect to either of you.

17. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    I was in Dunn's Friday night and there were people buying guns to hunt with!! One guy was getting a scope mounted on his new rifle. He said this---No lie!! " How close will this boresight be because I plan on going out in the morning. I won't have time to shoot it until I break for lunch." That poor kid just looked at him-didn't know what to say.
    I don't do gun season because....
    ...... I don't like the guy that uses his 3x9 as a spotting scope.
    ...... or the guy that leaves all his trash in the woods.
    ......Guys that leave there 10 year old to watch a field and he shoots at anything that moves
    .....10 guys in a 1 mile radius all using "The Can" and grunting-sounds like some sick chorus line.
    .....As stated above- people think they own the public land. I don't care how far you drove-I was here first!
    .....Jefferson County idiots that think a 30-30 is a LONG RANGE sniper rifle.
    .....and lastly-deer camp being a bon-fire drink fest.
    I love to hunt, but I guess my definition of hunting is different than most. I'll stay in the bow hunting only CA's for 2 weeks!!

18. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    [rquote=1896199&tid=132067&author=semo549]Talk about irritating, I've hunted hard for the last month and a half. A guy in my party over the weekend spends zero time in the woods except for gun season. He was hammered drunk Friday, wakes up saturday still hammered, sits in the woods for 40 minutes then goes to his truck and sleeps b/c he was to hungover. Doesn't hunt the afternoon or evening just continues to drink beer. Does the same thing Saturday night however Sunday morning instead of sitting in the woods he drives his truck out to a field edge and sat inside of it. After and hour a respectable 10pt walks out, he jumps out of the car and shoots it. Where did the deer run off and die to yo ask? to the gravel road at the enterance of his field where he pulled in at. He didn't even half to drag him 3 feet to get it to the truck. I heard about all this and was legitimately Ticked off... That's what "Deer Camp" is all about in his eyes:mad2:
    [/rquote]

That person would be told - not asked - to never come back. If that wasn't possible, I would find new people to hunt with or hunt by myself.

19. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1895986&tid=132067&author=Chairman]You know...I probably should just zip my lip, but...I just hunted HARD all weekend, and didn't even see a deer.

Don't get me wrong...I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying about slob hunters...but QUIT lumping all gun hunters together. It gets OLD...[/rquote]

:bowing::bowing::bowing: To me, this really puts it in perspective.:2thumbsup::trophy:

20. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    I will admit that I haven't been into it as much this year as in the past, and it's for some of the same reasons. A "friend" decided to make nice-nice with my landlord just in time for youth season, and darn near got permission to hunt firearms season also. It wouldn't bother me at all if they would have just gone about it differently, and if the guy could do an activity without it involving a 30 pack of Nat Light. Their idea of scouting for youth season was to take a lap through the entire property with their Suburban, and then brag to me that they spooked up 33 deer.:stickfight::mad2:

That's just the way it goes in this world anymore. Being a nice guy who's honest gets you nowhere. I'm used to it.