Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there was a thread once mentioning some tips on asking permission from landowners. IF not, we need one. How should a person dress, should I go get my 2 yr old and bring him around with me, should I hand out a card, should I carry a notebook to righ down their names phone number if they do say ok.
Suggestions? or linky to old thread???

:pop::pop::pop:

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1479990&tid=103456&author=ASW]always take off your hat.[/rquote]

good one. There are many habits that I have grown out of because they just arent common to my everyday life anymore. Things like this is one of them. I like it.
common sense (thanks captain obvious aka reb) I will do, but need help rememberign some of the finer details that may help make that guy on the fence come to my side and not stay sitting on the fence uneasy.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Here are a few things I have heard/read.

Don't wear a shirt with a logo on it. -You don't want to be one that looks like you are getting permission in attempt to get ahead in the industry or appear immature.

Don't dress to fancy.-You don't want to appear as a salesperson or make the land owner feel like you are talking down to him/her.

Send a letter first or drop it off in attempt to find a time that is convenient for the land owner to talk.-Farmers are busy and a hunter taking time out of there day to ask to hunt takes time and $ away from the farmer.

Don't flag down a farmer while he is working.

Just a few I remember off the top of my head.

If you do a search on the web, I am sure you will come up with a lot more suggestions. Good luck to you!

Nathan

Take your hat off (already mentioned).

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,492 Posts
Clean up, shave up, ask them exactly what you're after and for who (how many people), give them references of other people you hunt and fish on, say "Thank you" a LOT even if they tell you no.

Be nice to EVERYONE along the way, treating them the same way you would treat the landowner, because you never know exactly who actually has the 'say' whether you get to go.

The less people you're looking to get invited, the better chance you've got.

:thinking: That's what's coming to mind for me right now. :thinking:

Parker

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1480009&tid=103456&author=OzarkMtnLanyards]Here are a few things I have heard/read.

Don't wear a shirt with a logo on it. -You don't want to be one that looks like you are getting permission in attempt to get ahead in the industry or appear immature.

Don't dress to fancy.-You don't want to appear as a salesperson or make the land owner feel like you are talking down to him/her.

Send a letter first or drop it off in attempt to find a time that is convenient for the land owner to talk.-Farmers are busy and a hunter taking time out of there day to ask to hunt takes time and $ away from the farmer.

Don't flag down a farmer while he is working.

Just a few I remember off the top of my head.

If you do a search on the web, I am sure you will come up with a lot more suggestions. Good luck to you!

Nathan

Take your hat off (already mentioned).[/rquote]

These are very helpfull. Thank you very much.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
If your out scouting and have buddies in the truck and then go knock on the door only have 1 person do it. 3 or 4 guys standing on someone's front door step is intimadating!!! Have the people in the truck sitting quietly with radio off. Also wouldnt take your 2 year old maybe a 10 year old but not 2 year old. Dont beat around the bush. Hi my name is Nathan I live ___ I noticed on this piece of property that I believe you own there are alot of geese feeding in the field. I was wondering what the chances of me/my group being able to hunt that field are?? If they say NO say ok if they say well I dont know tell them how you hunt who will be there that you've done this before etc.... Dont try to shoot the Bull from the get go with them. Tell them what you want then see how conversation goes from there!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.