Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any advice? I've only ever found a handful of very small sheds.
usually damaged extremely by Coyotes or even buried.
What months are best? Now? (Early March)
Also are the edge of things like edge of forest, edge of creeks best?
Any tips would be fantastic! :)

·
Keeper Of The Prions
3,603 Posts
Bedding areas, feeding areas and areas in between. I've had alot of luck checking fence lines where they jump the fence. Most of all there isnt much substitute in walking, walking, then walking some more. I like to shed hunt off horseback personally. It gives my horse exercise and they are much easier to spot from an elevated position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also like to search off horseback. Just think that maybe I'll miss the ones the drop if they're tangled in weeds/stickers deep and such.. (also I don't always enjoy going slow on my horse)
What months do you usually find them?

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
I also like to search off horseback. Just think that maybe I'll miss the ones the drop if they're tangled in weeds/stickers deep and such.. (also I don't always enjoy going slow on my horse)
What months do you usually find them?
ditch the horse and walk, then walk some more and then walk some more slower.

·
Keeper Of The Prions
3,603 Posts
The earliest I have found sheds was before christmas. The latest was end of may. I look the hardest in March.

·
Keeper Of The Prions
3,603 Posts
ditch the horse and walk, then walk some more and then walk some more slower.
I can go anywhere on my horse that you can on foot and have twice the field of view than you do off the ground. Not to mention leave a whole lot less human scent around.

·
3,448 Posts
I can go anywhere on my horse that you can on foot and have twice the field of view than you do off the ground. Not to mention leave a whole lot less human scent around.
Agree 100% on being elevated while looking and getting a view from above especially in tall grass or weeds. Have found quite a few from my tractor in places I had walked or rode my atv around.

Found a pretty nice fresh one last spring in a patch of grass that I had walked driven past a bunch of times. It had been there awhile as the grass was covering the main beam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thanks great advice (Search most in March) that's really encouraging haha I'll be hiking everyday I can. probably minimum of 5 days a week. 2 hours at a time or more. Thank you.

Does weather affect it? There's some snowy icy mix on the ground right now..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow, Thanks great advice (Search most in March) that's really encouraging haha I'll be hiking everyday I can. probably minimum of 5 days a week. 2 hours at a time or more. Thank you.

Does weather affect it? There's some snowy icy mix on the ground right now..
I like to wait until the snow is gone. Easier to see white on brown instead of white on white, no matter what color you think the sweater is.

·
Keeper Of The Prions
3,603 Posts
I dont like looking when a snow is on or a bright sunny day. For me it makes them harder to see. But lately I go when I get the chance, which isnt very much.

·
Really? Show me. .
3,436 Posts
I dont like looking when a snow is on or a bright sunny day. For me it makes them harder to see. But lately I go when I get the chance, which isnt very much.
I agree. Sheds are easier to see on cloudy/rainy days. Better contrast.:02:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts