Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,943 Posts
i would recommend getting the Book "Water Dog" written by Richard Wolters.

hes a very good dog trainer from back in the 50's and has passed but, i trained my lab according to his rules and i have one of the best dog ive ever had.

but you have to spend the time with the pup, every day, or nothing will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,357 Posts
I have 2 labs and I can only say from experience ,do not play tug of war with them,you may shoot a duck but it might not come back in one piece:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteTailer
i would recommend getting the Book "Water Dog" written by Richard Wolters.
There's your best bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
The book "Game Dog" by Richard Wolters covers a little bit more than Water Dog. My husband had do it backwards because our lab was skipping step one and two and starting on three which is ok. There is nothing wrong with letting them do step three to build his confidence and then back tracking to steps 1 and 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Originally posted by Rebelcj7
Originally posted by Pipe
I have 2 labs and I can only say from experience ,do not play tug of war with them,you may shoot a duck but it might not come back in one piece:D
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: only you pipe, only you could come up with something like that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
You are right about that. Our hunting dogs are not allowed to play tug of war or fetch. If you do this at home they may try it in the field. We have a house dog for all the silly stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,698 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteTailer
i would recommend getting the Book "Water Dog" written by Richard Wolters.

hes a very good dog trainer from back in the 50's and has passed but, i trained my lab according to his rules and i have one of the best dog ive ever had.

but you have to spend the time with the pup, every day, or nothing will work.
I'll 2nd, or 3rd, that. Very good book and pretty easy to follow along with.

As far as the training goes be patient, make it fun for both you and the pup, and don't over do it. Try to always cut the training off with the pup wanting more.

Don't know where your located but see if there's a retriever club nearby and get to know those folks. There a wealth of info and usually willing to help and answer any question's you may have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,943 Posts
i actually read and watched the Video before i even selected a Pup. Peach, your right about Game Dog, he Also has "Gun Dog" basicly he has several books all very informative.

after i read the books, i removed the Pup i wanted or the one that selected me regardless of size from the Litter at excatly 49 days. i didnt really agree with it at first, but i completly understand it now.

Tug of War is not really a good thing, but since i was trying to raise a retriver, i played Fetch ALL the time. i dont understand why you wouldnt want to. we played with small dummies, then dummies with feathers and scented dummies. playing fetch along with obedience traing makes it fun for the pup, after a short time, i had friends that would throw a dummy from where they stood 25 yards in front of us, after i shot a gun..the dog never broke until i told him to, and he learned to "Mark" it.

i think you have to play fetch. IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteTailer
i actually read and watched the Video before i even selected a Pup. Peach, your right about Game Dog, he Also has "Gun Dog" basicly he has several books all very informative.

after i read the books, i removed the Pup i wanted or the one that selected me regardless of size from the Litter at excatly 49 days. i didnt really agree with it at first, but i completly understand it now.

Tug of War is not really a good thing, but since i was trying to raise a retriver, i played Fetch ALL the time. i dont understand why you wouldnt want to. we played with small dummies, then dummies with feathers and scented dummies. playing fetch along with obedience traing makes it fun for the pup, after a short time, i had friends that would throw a dummy from where they stood 25 yards in front of us, after i shot a gun..the dog never broke until i told him to, and he learned to "Mark" it.

i think you have to play fetch. IMO
The main reason we do not play fetch is because we do not want the dog to think of bringing a bird back as a game. In some cases if they play around and do not give the ball back or whatever you play fetch with they may think the same way with retrieving birds. If you are able to play fetch that is great. It is more my husbands rule than mine because I would love to play fetch with our dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,011 Posts
i'll 3rd or 4th the water dog. the only thing i can tell you about training is let the dog set the pace. some try to go to fast and the dog gets confused. obedience is important and a lot of it is genetics also. play with the pup a lot and form a strong bond. i am a firm believer that if the pup loves ya he is gonna want to work for you if he knows what you want. switch things up and leave the dog wanting more. my pup is now two years old and just ate up with himself. just sits and shakes and eyes gets as wide as saucers when it is go time. of course his momma might have something to do with how he is turning out because my ability to train anything is slim at best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,011 Posts
this coming out of someone's mouth who is he!! on dogs. jake is still trying to recover as am i from our last retrieve you sent us on.:rotfl: unfortunately i can't cheat like john and whit and grab the boat to go after them after you start whacking at them. at least when i miss, i miss. oh but that only happens when i pull the trigger.:banghead::banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,108 Posts
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
this coming out of someone's mouth who is he!! on dogs. jake is still trying to recover as am i from our last retrieve you sent us on.:rotfl: unfortunately i can't cheat like john and whit and grab the boat to go after them after you start whacking at them. at least when i miss, i miss. oh but that only happens when i pull the trigger.:banghead::banghead:
:rotfl::rotfl:

And whit brings back 2 ducks when she disappears down the lake...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,698 Posts
Originally posted by Rebelcj7
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
this coming out of someone's mouth who is he!! on dogs. jake is still trying to recover as am i from our last retrieve you sent us on.:rotfl: unfortunately i can't cheat like john and whit and grab the boat to go after them after you start whacking at them. at least when i miss, i miss. oh but that only happens when i pull the trigger.:banghead::banghead:
:rotfl::rotfl:

And whit brings back 2 ducks when she disappears down the lake...
That's part of her magic show, just wait til this season and you see what trick's she'll pull out from under her collar ;) :pop::pop:.

And Dave, Mike does have a point, you do know how to give a dawg a work out with you shootin' skillz. Mike maybe we need to ad long distance swimming to the training schedule if Dave keeps huntin' with us, or better yet just load him up a bunch of blanks and switch em when he aint lookin' so he can enjoy the pleasure's of watchin' ducks flying away with the rest of us ;).

Now :smiley:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top