Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Well this May marks one year in Missouri. And what a year it has been. New home, new baby, lots of deer hunting and fishing. I guess we will stay ;)

So if we are going to stay I guess I'll need a boat to suit the boating we like to do here.

Currently we have a 2003 18.5 foot Lund Alaskan s/s with a 70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. It is a great fishing boat--particularly for larger rougher water. Problem is that here in MO most of the water is better fished with a flat bottom and the Lund is a deep V.

We are just in the begining stages of looking/thinking about a new boat and wanted to get the MWT take on the situation. Keep in mind that this would be primarily a fishing boat but I do have a family so there needs to be some refinement to the boat (carpet, seats....) and be as stable (wide) as possible. Right now my Lund just barely (inches) fits in the garage while on the trailer. I'd like the new boat to do the same.

Additionally I'd like to be able to duck hunt or bowfish from the new boat. I'm 6-5 and 300+ lbs :eek: and rough on boats so keep this in mind when reccomending boats.

Also, would you keep the 2003 Yamaha or sell it and go new? $$$ is a concern--I work for a living. But I think it is a long shaft since my boat is a deep V. I'm hoping to sell the Lund and come as close as possible to even on my new boat.

What are you thoughts? :pop:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
if i was planning on doing much lake fishing here no way would i get rid of that boat .....to be honest sounds really close to the boat we have. granted we have a small jon boat for rivers and such but the only way i would get a big flat bottom is if i planed to be fishing alot on like the missouri or somthing besause its swift but not rough. lakes like truman or lake of the ozark can get rough and the comfort of a good boat is worth more than the few places you can't get with it.

i would say if your dead set you can make a fairly good deal and you'll get more out of your boat with the motor on it. depending on what you want you can find packages that are good deals. lots of boats made here in MO so you got plenty of choices.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
I say the way to go is to keep the one that you've got for the lake fishing, and buy a cheapo, used flat bottom for smaller river stuff.

I think you've got the boat you need for lake fishing.....that's what my bud's dad got, and that's what my dad's looking to get. I, on the other hand, just purchased the other side of that....the cheapo version! :D

Parker

·
Registered
70,601 Posts
I tend to agree with hfff and Parker on this one. I have a semi-v 16 ft aluminum Lowe and there have been many a time I wish I had a deep V for some of those 4 foot whitecaps out on Truman and Lake of the Ozarks. I'd keep the one you have and pick up a jon boat with a smaller motor for your duck hunting. Lowe has some good ones.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,387 Posts
If you can keep the one you have and buy a flat bottom that'd be ideal. If you're looking for a good person to deal with I'd suggest Troy Ennis at;

MRO (Missouri River Outfitters)
1624 Jade Road
Columbia, Mo 65202

573-474-6699

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. You guys have said what I (ok lets be serious) my wife was fearing. The Lund is a great boat--I just really want to get out on the Missouri and don't think it would work well for that. I love lake fishing but they are all so far away (2+ hrs) and the Missouri Rivver is just down the road. Perhaps picking up a smaller Jon is the way to go. What would be a good "safe" size Jon and motor for the Missouri. Also a problem is I don't have any outdoor storage space for it (damn HOAs). Perhaps I can rig some sort of suspension system and hang it from the ceiling above the Lund (we have 12ft ceilings in the garage). Anyone done something like this before?

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Truth is I wouldn't go with anything smaller on the Missouri River.Plus I would have a Backup Engine.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Big Muddy.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
My bud and I take a 14 foot john on the MO with no problems, but I won't go any smaller than that personally.

There's a lot of folks that are afraid of that river.....and to them.....I say.....THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD FISHING! :D

Pay attention to where the channel is, stay away from barges, and watch for rocks.

Oh, and if your motor isn't 100 percent, fish upstream of the ramp.

Parker

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
what ever boat you get just make sure you got gas.not like the guy i went with on the miss last year he ran out of gas and it was along night of drifting to the next ramp:mad2:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't say that I'm afraid of the big river--just cautious. I kepp having this dream of being anchored on the river and having a huge tree or log come flying down and tripping my anchor line and flippin the boat. Guess I just need to keep a knife close at hand!

The backup engine is a great idea, perhaps I can find like a 10hp kicker or something.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Draft. I'm was thinking that I could get into some places that I currently can not. I would be less likely to get hung up on the big shallow sand flats with a flat-botton. Run a v-hull aground and your liable to tip over. A flat bottom--your just stuck.

Also--back home we did a lot of push polling in our john boats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well if i was you i would get a basstracker vbottom or partial v bottom boat with a mercury motor or yamaha motor their both good boats and motors to chose from at bass pro and at any boat place in mid missouri. i'm not scared of the missouri river no way, i always wanted to go out in me and my dads partial v bottom bass trackerII boat on the river but otherwise saying try bass pro in springfield,mo or columbia,mo. best of luck fishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.