Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of purchasing a trail cam or two. I just can't stand these long summers without seeing some deer.

I know, I know....it's about time :stickfight:
Its just that till now we have always done it the old fashion way--know the woods and look for the sign, but I just love all of those pics.

My questions is---- Is there any evedince that trail cams scare game away? I mean with the noise and flash and all. I'm afraid that it might spook the deer away from an area if they are peppered with camera flashes as if paparatzi are following them?

I'm figuring no since so many of you have them with some great pics--but I just had to ask.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I don't know if there is any solid evidence about scaring wildlife for a substantail time or anything...

And there are cams that make no noise and have no flash to take pics, day or night. So you may want to look into something like that if you're really worried about it.

Maybe try to find an IR camera... like this:
CLICK HERE...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally posted by danceswithbooze
I have been thinking of purchasing a trail cam or two. I just can't stand these long summers without seeing some deer.

I know, I know....it's about time :stickfight:
Its just that till now we have always done it the old fashion way--know the woods and look for the sign, but I just love all of those pics.
i'm like you dances....but i really want one now! i want a digital game camera, but how much can i expect to spend on a GOOD one?? which ones are the good ones?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am almost convinced that the flash on my Cuddebacks make older deer wary. The reason is that I generally do not get more than one set of pics of larger deer, especially bucks, in a single cam location. If I do, the second time the deer seem to stand much further back and then do not return. That being said, I do not think those deer go far - last year I pictured one big buck in four different locations on our farm between September and January, but only once did I get more than 1 set of pics from the same cam of him.

I have heard that by placing the camera 10 or so feet off of the ground and pointing down, the deer are not as alarmed. This makes some sense because when my cam is down low, deer eventually come up to it and check it out. We will have to wait and see!

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Travis the time frame you mentioned has the deer, especially bucks on a very irregular routine anyway. I would bet summer pictures would be more consistant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have thought about that, but there was one large eight that was there for three different nights in late June/July ho kept getting farther away and then dissapeared all together. It is hard to weigh the risk vs reward.

My next cam purchase will have the night LED with no flash just to be safe - I wish Cuddeback would develope one!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
DWB,

You can buy two for the price that you'll spend on an IR model. I think more pics equal more knowlege, so I say go with the flashing cameras.

There's nothing out there that shows good information that the flash spooks game. The camera companies can get you to spend more money if they can convince you of it though!

I say (from what I've researched good and bad) you should look at a 2-3 MP camera with a regular flash, quick time response, and no on camera screen. This is going to give you the best bang for your buck. Oh yeah.....buy a large sized card for your camera too (512 or bigger). From these guidlines, you're probably going to end up with the basic cuddeback. I've got two of the stealthcams, and I'd reccommend them, but they've got a slow reaction time.

LET'S SEE SOME PICS! (1st of July is a good time to get them out and rolling).

Parker

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
i'm with the guys on the flash scaring the older bucks.i have a raised a few deer on a eight acre enclosed pen and put the cam on them. first day was the only picture i got of a six year old buck he veered from that corner for the two weeks it was in there, but the does and small buck it did not bother.

·
Registered
70,598 Posts
I have a stand that overlooks my feeder and I leave my camera aimed at the feeder during the off season months. I was sitting in my stand with my 35mm camera with zoom lens one morning and an eight point walked up to the feeder and the camera flashed and he just looked in the direction of the camera. He kept on eating for a few minutes and it flashed his picture again. He never let on that it bothered him at all. I leave my camera at the same locations and have numerious pictures of the same deer including bucks. I don't think it bothers them in the least unless you visit to often and leave your scent all over the area.

·
Registered
791 Posts
DanceswithBooze-

Here's a deercam setup I'm working on. I purchased the hardware off the internet. After I'm finished, I'll have a 4.0 Megapixel system. In fact, you can purchase the controller board at $22 discount right now. If you have the tools, it's not hard to do. The goop on the outside of the pictured deercams is "Liquid Nail". After I get done painting, it'll look like treebark.

Box on right = Deercam
Box on left = Slave (Extra Flash unit to penetrate darkness)

Links to some sites:
3D Camo
Controller Board (Universal)
Sony P-41 Modification (Voids all Warranty Though)

Attachments

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
I just pulled the card out of my Cback yesterday...It was out since 4-5-2006, and had 341 pics on it!!!! I'm posting some of them in another thread.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Fireman,
How many pixels is the camera in your CuddeBack Deercam? 1.2, 2.1, 3.0, etc.....?

I saw the pics from you Cuddeback in the other post, and they look crisp, and detailed. Just curious to see what pixel rating you camera is......which should give me a good indication of how my camera will do.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I just checked out those sites. How cool is the cellular eye thing. It emails you a pic when one is taken! Not that I'd want to leave my phone in the woods (probably wouldn't even have service) but it gets me a thinking...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.