Time in stand

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by golfnut1969, Nov 12, 2010.

1. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

So I'm heading out tomorrow morning and have a few questions. This is only my 3rd year deer hunting and probably my 5th or 6th time out.

Anyway, here are my questions.
    Hunting related:
    What time should I be in my stand?(Completely situated ready to hunt)?

I'm hunting public property, so I don't plan on moving. How long should I stay in the stand?

If I shoot a deer?
    How long after shooting should I wait before field dressing?

Does the deer need to be hung? If so, how soon after killing and how long should it hang?

Should I do a more thourogh cleaning once home or can I bring straight to the processor?

Any suggestions on processing (St. Charles, MO)?

Any other tips/tricks or advice you guys have for a new deer hunter are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    As far as when in the stand, I always like to be in at least 30 minutes before shooting light on public ground, if not sooner. then, plan to stay all day. I killed my biggest, and most deer at midday on public ground, as all the other weekend warriors headed in for lunch..... I always field dress, and take right to the butcher shop, unless it's cold.... St Charles processors... Only one in the STC area I have used is Browns, up in Elsberry... And they do a right good summer sausage.

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

[rquote=1893673&tid=131896&author=golfnut1969]So I'm heading out tomorrow morning and have a few questions. This is only my 3rd year deer hunting and probably my 5th or 6th time out.

Hunting related:
    What time should I be in my stand?(Completely situated ready to hunt)? I'd be there and ready no later than 5:45am

I'm hunting public property, so I don't plan on moving. How long should I stay in the stand? I plan to hunt all day long

If I shoot a deer?
    How long after shooting should I wait before field dressing? If the deer drops where ya shot him/her there is no reason not to go ahead and start field dressing if that's your method

Does the deer need to be hung? If so, how soon after killing and how long should it hang? If the weather is cool and you feel like hanging the deer, skin it and let it hang 2-3 days

Should I do a more thourogh cleaning once home or can I bring straight to the processor?

Any suggestions on processing (St. Charles, MO)? Can't help ya on this one

Any other tips/tricks or advice you guys have for a new deer hunter are appreciated. Sit tight and do a little rattling and grunting every half hour or so

Thanks in advance!

[/rquote]

:shrug:

4. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    My advice is following your questions take em or leave em.

So I'm heading out tomorrow morning and have a few questions. This is only my 3rd year deer hunting and probably my 5th or 6th time out.

Hunting related:
    What time should I be in my stand?(Completely situated ready to hunt)? I am in the tree ready to go by 5:30am.

I'm hunting public property, so I don't plan on moving. How long should I stay in the stand? All day if you can stand it

If I shoot a deer?
    How long after shooting should I wait before field dressing? Field dress asap once the deer is dead. If you don't know it's dead, give it time to die before tracking. This can be a tough job deciding how much time to leave an animal if you didn't see or hear the deer go down.

Does the deer need to be hung? If so, how soon after killing and how long should it hang? Hang an average deer 3-5 days. 3 at least if you can. if you don't have a cooler to hang it in or if it is too warm to hang outside, quarter and place it in a refridgerator.

Should I do a more thourogh cleaning once home or can I bring straight to the processor? Process the deer yourself, saves a lot of money.
    Any suggestions on processing (St. Charles, MO)?

Any other tips/tricks or advice you guys have for a new deer hunter are appreciated. Be paitent, Be safe, Be sure of your target, Have fun, Post stories and pictures!

Thanks in advance!

5. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    if you think you had a good shot, and he ran off, i wait about 30 mins, then go look where he was and start tracking. even if i see him laying there after the shot, i still wait the 30 mins or so.

nothing worse than walking up on one and having it jump up and take off.

:02:

6. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1893694&tid=131896&author=knockemdeadd]if you think you had a good shot, and he ran off, i wait about 30 mins, then go look where he was and start tracking. even if i see him laying there after the shot, i still wait the 30 mins or so.

nothing worse than walking up on one and having it jump up and take off.

:02:[/rquote]

Good advice, my first solo deer did that to me. Hit her perfect, she dropped and rolled and stopped. I was so excited I started getting down too soon and when I hit the ground she was gone! Took 4 of us 2 hours to find her the woods were so thick but she only went a couple hundred yards.

Give them time! And prepare for a follow up shot JIC.

7. golfnut1969

Thanks for all the advice. Don't have a grunt call or anything to rattle with. I'd be happy taking a doe and I've seen plenty of those in the spot I'm hunting. Only bucks I've seen have been small spikes, with one exception and he was only a 6 pointer.

8. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Well good luck golfnut and enjoy your time out there:cheers:

9. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

If you're on public land, you really need to be on your spot 2 hours before shooting light with your flashlight on the whole time. But if someone wants to hunt 50 yards away or skirt around to cut you off, they will.

10. golfnut1969

This is my 3rd year hunting this area for deer. I've spent a lot of time hunting squirrels here as well. So, for the 80+ hours or so I've hunted this spot (40 or so of that being during deer season) I've only seen one other hunter. He came within 200 yards of me, saw the orange and turned around. This was later morning/early afternoon and I think he was on his way out.

I can tell you the CA I goto is loaded with people, they just all flock to the same areas (near the parking lots and camping/picnic facilities). Anyway, I think I'll plan on getting there by 5:30, giving myself 15 minutes to get situated. But I'll leave the flashlight on just in case! :)