Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
just a no body
15,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I have been finding a vastly increased number of ticks in my or what I have left hair and neck line etc. It has become beyond stupid. I'm wondering how do they get up this far? Do they jump out of trees or fly with the wind as sometimes Im walking a field 10's of feet away from any trees? My enquiring mind needs to know. So I googled such matters. According to the "experts" ticks only reside on the ground so if they are in your hair or on your hat they crawled up to that height. Ok but I wear extremely Permethrin soaked pants. I mean you can smell it.

I wonder if Seresto makes a human collar? :unsure:

What say you?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
All those birds we don't have anymore are not there to eat ticks . More raccoons = more tick habitat.
Just kidding but maybe someone will use this as an excuse to make good use of the new predator season.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,029 Posts
not enough Opossums
Nature's catch-22. Opossums eat turkey eggs, turkeys eat ticks, opossums eat ticks. So, how man ticks does an opposum eat a year, compared to how many ticks all the poults that didn't survive gonna eat in a year. I'll take the poults over the grinners myself... :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm working on getting a prescription to burn this winter for the first time. I've read the tick forecast is going to be bad, cover up with permethrin treated clothing, picaridan repellent on your skin and add in some chig away on your legs and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Apparent the "experts" on google have never been to MO, they do climb trees and bushes to drop on their victims. Cedars are the worst! Burning does help, but this time of year they are really hungry! :eek:

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
I had one crawling on my elbow this morning and I work a desk job. I'm positive the suckers hang out in cedar trees and fall on me. Every year during turkey season I end up with them up high on my body while hunting even though I've got everything from my neck down sprayed down well with Permethrin.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Went to our camper last week, right in the corner where tree line begins on far side and rear of camper. I had 3, Wife had 2, Kids had 1 or 2 and our dog had about 6. Really bad this year. In the past down there we would always see the little red ones that would fall from tree every once in awhile. This year has been bad with the black ones.

·
Under appreciated
91,815 Posts
Apparent the "experts" on google have never been to MO, they do climb trees and bushes to drop on their victims. Cedars are the worst! Burning does help, but this time of year they are really hungry! :eek:
This right here is truth. They are on overhanging branches and when you brush against it you got ticks. I realized that when I was growing up and had painters pants on this one day fishing the creek.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,029 Posts
The Missouri woods in may and june are to be avoided imho. Once july aug hit, i don’t encounter them nearly as much. The last 2 weeks of may are the worst.

·
Registered
70,367 Posts
I seem to find new ticks each time I take a ride in my truck after a visit to my woods. They are crawling on my clothing and jumping off to safety as I drive home. They jump back on when get back in the truck later in the week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts