Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Never heard of it. anyone???

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
supposed to be as effective as Deet, but not greasy or harmful to plastics.
Found this info on both:

DEET has some notable drawbacks. It imparts a greasy feel to the skin upon application. It emits a distinctive-and to many, unpleasant-odor. And it has the ability to dissolve certain plastics and some synthetic materials, including rayon, spandex, and vinyl. This is a particular hazard for sunglasses and plastic eyeglass lenses. (It has no effect on nylon, wool, or cotton.)

Studies have shown picaridin to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes. Unlike DEET, however, picaridin is odorless, non-greasy, and does not dissolve plastics or other synthetics. The one possible concern with picaridin is its relative newness. Insufficient time has passed for long-term health risks (should they exist) to manifest themselves. A limited, but growing, number of repellents contain picaridin, including Cutter Advanced, Sawyer Premium, and Repel Smart Spray.

Info was found here:
https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

· Registered
4,019 Posts
Not sure I’ve found anything as effective as Permethrin for keeping ticks off of you. Skeeters and other flying insects DEET seems to be best. Picardin may be a better choice for DEET if you’re worried about getting your plastic stuff ate up.

· Registered
32,087 Posts
I've used it instead of deet and prefer it but not as a replacement for permethrin.

Reactions: beanpile and fish

· Registered
Fly rod!
4,234 Posts
My wife and I were indian artifact hunting some years back... before my conversion to Permetherin, and I had sprayed myself down with a Deet formulation... wearing shorts. I was driving her car during the excursion and had my leg rested against the inside drivers side door panel. The result was a permanant imprint on her door interior of all the hairs on my leg. Bad ju-ju!

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I use the picaridin containing mosquito repellants, lots more dilute than the product mentioned above for clothes. I really like it as it is nearly odorless and not greasy at all because its highly water soluble and doesnt require the greasy/oily co-formulants needed with deet.
For the clothes though I still use a permethrin spray which I make myself for pennies a gallon.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I may try it if its mild on the skin. Deet lights me up.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I may try it if its mild on the skin. Deet lights me up.
Give me a ring one day and I'll let you know what I use and where to get it. Efficacious and doesn't smell in the least.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Give me a ring one day and I'll let you know what I use and where to get it. Efficacious and doesn't smell in the least.
Will do. May need it yet this year as wet as it is the skeeters are bombing a lot during the day in the open.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
Will do. May need it yet this year as wet as it is the skeeters are bombing a lot during the day in the open.
Just look for a repellent that contains picaridin at about 1-2% I believe. Cutter makes it and maybe one other company.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Will look. I better look outside the livestock section. :D

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I use picaridin almost exclusively on my face and skin. On clothes I use permethrin that I mix myself.

Honestly, I believe picaridin is more effective than deet. The skeeters in my woods laugh at deet because it's been around for so long it doesn't bother them anymore. I always get bit a few times whenever I use deet. However, Picaridin is the new deal that they've never smelled before and they can't stand it. Never been bit by a skeeter while using picaridin ever, not a single time. And I've been using it for years. Really good stuff. I use it in the pre-season and rub it all over my ears, neck, and face. It's virtually odorless once dried. And cheaper than thermacell refills and lasts longer.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I use picaridin almost exclusively on my face and skin. On clothes I use permethrin that I mix myself.

Honestly, I believe picaridin is more effective than deet. The skeeters in my woods laugh at deet because it's been around for so long it doesn't bother them anymore. I always get bit a few times whenever I use deet. However, Picaridin is the new deal that they've never smelled before and they can't stand it. Never been bit by a skeeter while using picaridin ever, not a single time. And I've been using it for years. Really good stuff. I use it in the pre-season and rub it all over my ears, neck, and face. It's virtually odorless once dried. And cheaper than thermacell refills and lasts longer.
My experience as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.