Throw n Grow

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by fluty410, May 28, 2009.

1. fluty410

fluty410 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Warsaw MO
    Has an body had any luck with the throw n grow type food plots. I don't have any thing to work the land so i got the weed eater out and a rake and did the best i could.

2. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    I tried Whitetail Institute's Secret Spot a couple years ago with little success.

I cleared the area out real nice, limed it up and self tested it, waited then fertilized it, planted and nothing, critters ate most the seed, had some clover pop up but not much.

Here's the kicker and I'm still getting yelled at by the wife to this day, I planted some in the flower garden in front of the house and it's growing like crazy, thick and full and I can't get rid of it.

3. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    dont expect much at all

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    If you use small seed like clover, brassicas, turnips, alfalfa, chicory, even winter wheat, annual rye, oats, you should have some luck. Still probably be a good idea for a soil test so you can get the pH right, but you can still have a good enough food plot with just a backpack sprayer, some glypho, and a broadcast spreader.

My advice would be to spray, spread soil amendments and seed, and weedeat again or just give it some time.

I'd plan on a fall planting and just spray with glypho throughout summer as needed. If you get a soil test now, you can be working on adding lime in the meantime.

5. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    I did all that, I must have goofed up the home soil test somehow, and I know the turkeys ate up a lot of seed too, have game cam pics of em' eating it.

I just chalked it up to forest soil being to acidic and hard to grow stuff in.

6. fluty410

fluty410 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Warsaw MO
    Thanks for the info