Featured Thoughts please

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by beardsNspurs78, Apr 13, 2018.

1. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    My place is very thick nasty brush. So thick a guy cant even come close to walking through it standing up. There is an old road on it that I've been working on brush hogging clear. About half of it is done. What is left is mostly blackberry briars and some kind of horrible sapling that the place is overrun with. On average this road is about 10 yards wide or so....some spots its wider....some its slightly narrower. It is right at 3/4's of a mile long. If my math isn't off this should total about 2.5 acres. I've been thinking of planting something in it. Whatever is planted would have to withstand light traffic as I also use this road for cutting/hauling wood. Ideally I would like something that would provide some winter browse for the deer but, since this place is surrounded by alot of tillable land, something that would provide something later in the year. Also it would be great if it provided a place for the turkeys to eat/strut/etc come spring time and really....this is just as important as providing something for the deer.

About half the road has decent sunlight. The other half has little. Moisture shouldn't be a HUGE concern as I'm almost certain there are a couple springs on this place. I know of 2 spots that stay wet practically year round. One spot on the farm (not on/near the road) had running/open water a week into those single degree days we had this past winter. Whatever is planted will have to be broadcast. Between myself, a buddy, and my FIL I have access to most any common 3pt implement. For what its worth the tillable portion of the farm will be no till beans this year. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    On MDC website do a search for "green browse" should give you info on what you are looking for.

3. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    aren't there some lower sunlight blends???

4. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Ive found clover in general to be pretty shade tolerant.

20' likes this.
  5. beardsNspurs78

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    What kind will work in limited sunlight? Is clover something that will provide forage during winter but green up and be attractive to turks in the spring?

6. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I have found clover to be shade tolerant in general. You might do some research on the specific variety that is most shade tolerant. I have a woods clover plot and it does just fine in moderate sunlight.
    Yes, go take a look in your back yard.
    IMHO Clover is best all around natural forage for deer. If its there they will eat on it year round.

7. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
  8. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

deer should still be on it in the Winter, even though it may look pretty sparse. Turkeys seem to like it in the Spring as well.

Their better food plotters than myself on here, but I would blow the leaves off the trails and lightly disc, then add some fertilizer at some point

9. beardsNspurs78

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Appreciate the post DWGH. I'm up by Hannibal so not too far at all from moberly.

What is the maintenance on clover? Does it need to be reseeded yearly? When is the best time to plant? What have yall found to be the best way to prep a seed bed? Being that this is in the woods the leaf mat is pretty thick in places which would make good seed/soil contact a problem. Burning isn't an option but I could scrape it down to bare dirt.

10. beardsNspurs78

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Didnt see that part of your post til just now. Thanks 20. I dont have a leaf blower and 3/4's of a mile would be a long ways anyway. I do have blades for the tractor....disc.....tiller.... etc.

20' likes this.
  11. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO

This will tell ya about everything ya need to know.
    There are several different grass selective herbicides out there. I use Clethodim.

12. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I have had good luck with clover in spots like that on my place.

My place is so thick a person can't hardly walk through it in places....

I have a small opening where I have been putting in ladino, and deer sure go through there a lot. :wave1:

The low maintenance solution....

13. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    This is what I would do in your situation,
    1)depending of if there is presently any grass etc Id brush hog it down to the dirt or a low as you can.
    2) Spread fertilizer (scripted per your soil test)
    3) Run your tiller to turn up the dirt good and work your fertilizer in.
    4) Cultipack to firm up seed bed
    5) Broadcast at 10# per acre
    6) Cultipack again to firmly seat the seed into the bed.
    7) grab a brew and wait for it to rain.

WBF likes this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    again, others would know the details better, but once the clover gets established, is should be good for 4-5 years???

15. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    also, if you are going to do this would invest in a gas powered blower for "maintenance" of blowing leaves off occasionally

16. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Here's a few pics from my initial clover plot establishment last year.
    ***Disclaimer: I Learned from Henry
    buggy.jpg Capture.PNG dd.jpg e.jpg View attachment 98936 IMG954411.jpg IMG954412.jpg IMG954651.jpg IMG956166.jpg

17. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Can't be right, I read somewhere on here, that Henry is brain damaged. Having met Henry on multiple occasions, I can neither confirm, or deny this... :wave1:

Dafish likes this.
  18. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    @henry

callaojoe likes this.
  19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    He can neither confirm or deny it either... :wave1: