Thoughts on buying used hand guns from pawn shops?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Gakic24, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

2. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    If the price is right, and the gun is right, then why not?

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    sure if the gun was something i wanted in good shape and priced right why not?

4. reitzs

reitzs Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Springfield
    2nd that question

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    If you are a good judge of the quality of gun why not. But I'd sure make sure that the pawn shop is on the up and up so you won't be buying a hot gun.

6. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

Guess my question is, if it looks clean and it goes click when the trigger pulls then I might as well buy?

Guess I just dont wanna get burnt.:cheers:

7. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    A PAWN SHOP WITH GUNS THAT ARE PRICED RIGHT??? NO WAY!!!! USUALLY THEY ARE USED GUNS AT MORE THAN NEW PRICE! BUT IF THEY ARE AND THE GUN IS GOOD, THEN WHY NOT!

8. Gakic24

Gakic24 Active Member

[rquote=1862536&tid=129694&author=Mailman]If you are a good judge of the quality of gun why not. But I'd sure make sure that the pawn shop is on the up and up so you won't be buying a hot gun.[/rquote]

I bought my new XD from them last year and was inpressed with their customer service.... Looking at getting the wife a
    Ruger LCR .38 sp.

9. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    If the price is right yeah, I'd rather purchase from a reputable gun store though.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree with conradtactical on this one. I never buy from pawnshops, unless they don't mind me taking down the serial number and having the police run the number before I buy it. They usually get nervous about that. I'd just go to a gun shop that I trusted. Less hassle in the long run and they have used guns.

11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I do believe that the pawn shops are required by law to check the stolen gun lists.....sounds logical to me.:shrug:

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    its a handgun, they cant sell it to you without your nics check, which the serial number is also on..and run through the fbi. i'm pretty sure a ffl has to run numbers on any gun they buy, or sell.

13. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1862605&tid=129694&author=Cherokee]I agree with conradtactical on this one. I never buy from pawnshops, unless they don't mind me taking down the serial number and having the police run the number before I buy it. They usually get nervous about that. I'd just go to a gun shop that I trusted. Less hassle in the long run and they have used guns. [/rquote]

Pawn shops have to fill out the same paperwork that any other FFL has to. You are just as likely to get a "hot" used gun from a "dealer" as you are from a pawn shop (both scenarios VERY unlikely). In addition, police departments will NOT run serial numbers on a gun at the request of an average Joe. Granted, if you happen to know an officer at the department, they may run it as a courtesy, but it is not a public service that departments offer. Furthermore, just because a firearm doesn't show up on the hot sheet this week, doesn't mean it won't several months down the road.

The biggest reason why I've never bought a gun from a pawn shop was because when they had the gun I wanted, they didn't have it at a price I was willing to pay. That said, I know several people that have bought various handguns from pawn shops with good results.

14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I've bought a lot of guns from pawn shops over the years. I used to run one for about a year and never had a problem. But this was the times before insta-check.
    Had the law only ask me once to see my records. CO's caught a group headlighting but the gun was on the ground. They traced it to me and I dug the records out. They had their man.

15. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    [rquote=1862539&tid=129694&author=cfrazee_mo]A PAWN SHOP WITH GUNS THAT ARE PRICED RIGHT??? NO WAY!!!! USUALLY THEY ARE USED GUNS AT MORE THAN NEW PRICE! BUT IF THEY ARE AND THE GUN IS GOOD, THEN WHY NOT![/rquote]

That's what I was gonna say. Pawn brokers are too proud of their guns!

16. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    I'm convinced that most of the pawn shops I've ever been to are just fronts for laundering drug money. Waaaaay overpriced JUNK that sits on the shelves for years.

The pawn shop down in House Springs is a prime example. They've had the same three Marlin 30-30's hanging on the wall there for years. All three have the crap beat out of them, and they want more for them than you can buy a brand new one. Ask them to come down in price, and they stare at you like you just dropped a turd in the punch bowl. It amazes me, because you know that they probably gave $75 to the poor saps that pawned them.

17. TheRedPilot

TheRedPilot New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Good pawn shops are hard to come by, Sportsman's Paradise on Main Street in El Dorado Springs is a GREAT pawn shop where everything can be negotiated and junk goes on SALE QUICK! I don't know the guys name that runs it, but his inventory is constantly getting swapped out. They're not open long hours, but when they are, there's like 20 people in there constantly. You can tell he's got a good business!

18. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    I don't frequent pawn shops very often but when I do my experience echos that of others. Here in Rolla they're all pretty high priced and not just on guns. A couple years ago I needed to replace a Sawzall for work and decided to check out the pawn shops. I bought a new one at a supply house for $10.00 more than the cheapest one I found in any of the pawn shops.

But, if I saw a firearm I wanted, it was priced right and met my condition requirements, sure, I'd buy it.

19. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    heck yes ! i bought my deer rifle at a pawn shop, years ago. Got a super good deal on it, its worked perfectly, I'd buy more from them just like it, if I was looking :cheers:

20. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1862670&tid=129694&author=sand_manms]I've bought a lot of guns from pawn shops over the years. I used to run one for about a year and never had a problem. But this was the times before insta-check.
    Had the law only ask me once to see my records. CO's caught a group headlighting but the gun was on the ground. They traced it to me and I dug the records out. They had their man.[/rquote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to federal law, the NICS check information is to be destroyed after 90 days from the system and the hand written forms are to be sent in and destroyed one year from date of purchase.

Hope your CO showed you a warrant.

(3) Limitation on use. The NICS, including the NICS Audit Log, may not be used by any Department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States to establish any system for the registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm transactions or dispositions, except with respect to persons prohibited from receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. 922(g) or (n) or by state law. The NICS Audit Log will be monitored and reviewed on a regular basis to detect any possible misuse of NICS data.

** I realize this was the time before insta check; however the rules still were in effect**

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/25-9-retention-destruction-records-19676573#ixzz13Sx5FXd6