Thomas Hill anglers

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by dnj21, Jan 16, 2018.

1. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Nov 15, 2007
    New Bloomfield
    Any one fish up there in the Winter time and have some tips?

Cabin fever getting me- already re-organized my tackle bags and boxes, re-spooled line and I am ready to fish. I know where to launch and looked at the maps and Google earth, but if anyone wanted to share a little to cut down the learning curve it would be appreciated.

Mainly Largemouth Bass but wouldln't be adverse to catching a Hybrid or two either.....

Thank you!

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Most of the winter fishing I see on TH is for crappie. Most of the lake is froze over right now, with just the warm water area open.

3. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I have caught wipers and channel cats fishing the warm water channel in the winter time using live bait. :wave1:

4. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Nov 15, 2007
    New Bloomfield
    Thanks callaojoe!
    Forgot to mention, have 1754 Tracker so I will be fishing from a boat. No electronics, so most likely pounding the bank. Don't know a whole lot about Wipers, but reading threads on Ozark Angler sounds like the Crappie guys catch them with minnows and jigs regularly.
    Wondering what water temps will be like, hopefully in the 50's so fish are somewhat active.

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    In the warm water area, probably even warmer than that. Naturally, temps get colder as you get away from the chute where it dumps into the lake.

It's been a while since I fished for crappie on TH, but I would think having electronics to zero in on brush piles would be a big benefit. There is not a lot of cover in the lake, outside of old creek beds and brush piles. I don't know if they have any good maps marking these things, but it'd be worth a look.

6. bassbuster83

bassbuster83 Active Member

Nov 5, 2005
    IMPERIAL
    Never fished TH but use to fish most power plant lakes in Illinois. Key in on that warm water an let er rip. The bass an channel cats stack up.

7. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I always see guys bass fishing those points where the warm water comes out in to the cove by the boat ramp. Hybrids can be caught trolling around anywhere on the warm water arm. The only time I've ever really got in to the hybrids was when we found them busting shad in this same area in the evening. We do well up there crappie fishing, but if you don't have have electronics, you won't be able to fish anything that we fish anyways so I can't really help you there. The only thing you can really fish would be some of the beaver dams and random brush up the warm water arm. Sometimes they are loaded up in there though, but it hasn't produced as well as the main lake brush has for us.

Here is a GoPro video of a trip I made up there with a buddy last March for crappie and hybrids.

8. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Nov 15, 2007
    New Bloomfield
    You have to love this forum- I ask a question and get three different guys answer within an hour including a guy posting video!
    You guys rock, thank you!

WBF, EZRA and Bootheel Boy like this.
  9. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Very fun place to fish and there are some bigger hybrids in there.

callaojoe likes this.
  10. dnj21

dnj21 Member

Nov 15, 2007
    New Bloomfield
    Trip report from yesterday:

Launched 830 ish and started out throwing a jig to any wood I could see in the water. Caught 1# largemouth but it was slow so i switched to a jerkbait. Caught my first, second and third Hybrids in short order. Largest maybe 14". Having fun, watching a lot of fish break top water chasing shad. Broke off my favorite Table rock colored suspending rougue on brush pile and switched to silver with blue back. Found a point coming out from shore a ways, very shallow so I was facing out throwing across it. Reeled down about 4-5 reel turns and let it sit. BAM!! Had rod about jerked out of my arms. Quite a battle but finally landed a 7.7# Hybrid. That thing was a riot :).
    Caught one more about 2.5# in same area.
    Motored back up to warm water outlet and drifted down again, caught two nice LM (2-3#) on white swim jig in three casts.
    Very interesting first trip! Thank you to all who contributed ideas! As soon as I pulled out I could TOTALLY see where Seth was fishing in his video. that was very cool too.

Attached Files:

11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Sounds like a fun trip, need to get back over there soon! :tup:

12. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    Used to fish there when I got cabin fever this time of year. Been a while since I fished it but I was there testing a lure a couple of weeks ago. From what I heard, it is the same as I remembered. Jerkbaits around the many bush piles, not far from the warm water outlet, was working good for bass.

13. Red dirt Randall

Red dirt Randall New Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Strippers ought a start hittin on the discharge water side real soon